Home Technical Talk

ZBrushCore thoughts

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
yaschan polycounter lvl 7
I made a video about ZBrushCore 
For anyone who want to do stuff for games, the limited advanced features might be problem I think, especially lack of UV. I just wonder who is the target audience for this app really? 3D print sculptors?

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a transcript ?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    PyrZern said:
    Is there a transcript ?

Comparison page of features between Zbrush and Zbrush Core: http://zbrushcore.com/features
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't made a transcript, but as RobeOmega said, the feature list is in Pixologic site. Thanks guys.
  • yaschan
  • JamesQuall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesQuall polycounter lvl 7
    I'll repeat my reply from general discussion, so very dissapointed:

Zbrushcore on the other hand looks completely worthless.  No auto retopo, no uvmapping, very limited texturing.  What's the point?  Sculptris is a far better option and it's free.  I've even heard of some preferring sculptris to zbrush for rough layouts of models and then further detailing in zbrush.  

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Why did they make zbrush core ?
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll repeat my reply from general discussion, so very dissapointed:

Zbrushcore on the other hand looks completely worthless.  No auto retopo, no uvmapping, very limited texturing.  What's the point?  Sculptris is a far better option and it's free.  I've even heard of some preferring sculptris to zbrush for rough layouts of models and then further detailing in zbrush.  

This is a valid question I think.
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

s1dK said:
    Why did they make zbrush core ?
    I feel this is appeal to those who make 3D printing models. I kinda get that feeling because it has some 3D printing features that even 4R7 don't have atm.
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    Zbrush full version costs less than some plugins for other mainstream software. And updates are free for lifetime (at least they were for now). So what`s to complain about? Do you guys want everything for free for lifetime? Just get the full version ;)

As for the lack of UVs and texturing - does anyone really do texturing in zbrush? It`s so outdated anyways.. Polypaint - maybe, but texturing? I delete UVs everytime I start sculpting, because it works much faster on higher subdivisions and also saves lots of saved .ztl size.

ZCore might be a good option for those who want to get into sculpting, but are not sure whether they need it or not. Upgrade path Core->full version will be offered, Pixologic mentioned it at the summit.
    And there are lots of other "cheap crippled" 3d software on the market which is targeted the same way.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If it costs the same amount to buy ZBrush Core and later update to ZBrush Full, it's a great option. I wish more companies would offer upgrade paths like that, also like Algorithmic's rent to own with Substance Live. I would definitely consider buying it if that was the case. 

ZCore is perfect for people that just want to use the dynamesh boolean workflow. 
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    As i said before, if they add precise chamfers/fillets after boolean operation, i will sure buy it, if not there is no point for me.
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik said:
    Zbrush full version costs less than some plugins for other mainstream software. And updates are free for lifetime (at least they were for now). So what`s to complain about? Do you guys want everything for free for lifetime? Just get the full version ;)

As for the lack of UVs and texturing - does anyone really do texturing in zbrush? It`s so outdated anyways.. Polypaint - maybe, but texturing? I delete UVs everytime I start sculpting, because it works much faster on higher subdivisions and also saves lots of saved .ztl size.

ZCore might be a good option for those who want to get into sculpting, but are not sure whether they need it or not. Upgrade path Core->full version will be offered, Pixologic mentioned it at the summit.
    And there are lots of other "cheap crippled" 3d software on the market which is targeted the same way.
    Yes, indeed I have got so many free upgrades since I bought 4 Anniversary Edition in fancy tin case. It has been great value. But I don't believe upgrade to ZBrush 5 will be free.

Yeah, the UV Master plugin feels quite outdated.  Sometimes I do temporary GUV tile map and bake it out to low poly in xNormal, just to get a base to build textures for things like rocks and tree trunks or terrain. Polypaint has not been very useful for me personally, but I can understand how it can be good for some, especially for making stylized models.
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    yaschan said:Yes, indeed I have got so many free upgrades since I bought 4 Anniversary Edition in fancy tin case. It has been great value. But I don't believe upgrade to ZBrush 5 will be free.
    Well, 4R8 will be free. And it promises useful features, not just incremental updates and bug fixes. I haven`t seen any other software developer which doesn`t charge for upgrades for so many years (decades in fact).
  • doolally66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doolally66 polycounter lvl 2
    Indik said:
    Upgrade path Core->full version will be offered, Pixologic mentioned it at the summit.
    I must have missed this. Did they say it would be like paying the full amount for Zbrush in the end?

Be great for those, like myself, who haven't done much sculpting. I only recently tried out the trial of 4R7 and have to say I loved it. Was apprehensive about using a pen at first but found the controls and UI very instinctive. Actually struggled going back to Max and panning around scenes!
    I've been putting off buying Zbrush as I need to upgrade my PC to be able to use it effectively, but noticed that Core had a poly limit to it (20 mill I think?), means at least I could get some practice in.

I didn't do the full workflow for high to low using the trial, but will Core allow that workflow to still happen? Exporting the mesh to Max, for example, and creating the low in there?
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    Indik said:
    Upgrade path Core->full version will be offered, Pixologic mentioned it at the summit.
    I must have missed this. Did they say it would be like paying the full amount for Zbrush in the end?

https://support.pixologic.com/
    "It will be possible to upgrade from ZBrushCore to ZBrush.  The details of this are still being worked out and will be released prior to launch."
    I know nothing more than that ;)
    ZCore Launches October 14th and it has a 20% pre-order discount until that date.
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik said:
    yaschan said:Yes, indeed I have got so many free upgrades since I bought 4 Anniversary Edition in fancy tin case. It has been great value. But I don't believe upgrade to ZBrush 5 will be free.
    Well, 4R8 will be free. And it promises useful features, not just incremental updates and bug fixes. I haven`t seen any other software developer which doesn`t charge for upgrades for so many years (decades in fact).
    Yes, exactly. 
  • yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know the launch date of 4R8?
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    This is the only reference I've seen to a release date...

"Pixologic hasn’t announced a release date for ZBrush 4R8, so it will presumably come out some time after ZBrushCore ships on 14 October."

As someone who has always struggled a bit with the transforms I think I'm most excited about the new gizmo. :D

• yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 said:

"Pixologic hasn’t announced a release date for ZBrush 4R8, so it will presumably come out some time after ZBrushCore ships on 14 October."

As someone who has always struggled a bit with the transforms I think I'm most excited about the new gizmo. :D

Same as me. Transform stripey thing has not been my favourite.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    yaschan said:
    Daf57 said:

Same as me. Transform stripey thing has not been my favourite.
    The transpose line is genius. Suits ZB workflows perfectly and has vast functionality.  
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    So there seems to be some mixed messaging when it comes to Core.

The storepage as well as homepage for ZbrushCore says:

"If you …

• love sculpting, messing with clay or just love art
    • are a 2D illustrator wanting to try 3D
    • an aspiring game, animation or VFX artist
    • an artist with big ideas for 3D printing
    • a professional jeweler wanting to extend your range with intricate and detailed designs"

Zbrush Core is for you. (http://store.pixologic.com/ZBrushCore/)(http://zbrushcore.com/)
    This list is also included via slide and mentioned during the ZbrushSummit by Pixologic's Paul Gaboury. (http://livestream.com/pixologic/events/6387612/videos/137430095)

This page  (https://pixologic.com/zbrushcore/) at Pixologic however, describes it as such:
    "ZBrushCore is designed for users who are new to 3D as well as illustrators, students and 3D printing enthusiasts."           

This description is also used for the announcement thread here (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?202273-Announcing-ZBrushCore).

With that observation in mind, it looks like they goofed on up the target audience. The current limitations and feature sets seem to imply the second target is accurate "newbies, students and 3D print enthusiasts", rather than the other marketing bits including "Indy Game Developers, animators and vfx artist".

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Also the notion that zBrush 5 was taking longer than expected because they were developing 2 programs is absurd (although I suspect it was a joke). 
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    musashidan said:
    The transpose line is genius. Suits ZB workflows perfectly and has vast functionality. 
    I  don't doubt that for a second! I just struggle with it, I've gotten better but still a bit glad to see the gizmo. :)

Daf
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    even for just sculpting, there's no morph targets, no layers, only 30 brushes. Who knows if you can use grabdoc for custom alphas. I think for $150, some of that would have been reasonable. But more than anything I wish they had just updated Sculptris.
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    It`s just a piece of software, nobody forces you to buy it :) Regular version of zbrush is not that expensive, for what it offers.
    From my perspective the usability and limitations of ZCore are in the same league with other "crippled" software. I wouldn't use it myself, as I`m already spoiled by full version of zbrush, but I wouldn't use maya LT or modo indie either.
    For those who are new to the industry - thats another story.
  • nova-odos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nova-odos polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's great that Pixologic makes a Zbrush software with limited resources in order to reduce costs and attract more costumers. Corel company already did it with Painter and I'm certain not all users in the planet do need Zbrush to its maximum capacity. Unfortunately, I read some of the technical differences between one another and I tracked some items lacking for my work pipeline. For example Plug Ins are not supported so I'm uncertain as to how to unwrap very high polys for projection to low polys for map generation. Also the lack of reprojection in Zbrush Core was a big revelation if I read correctly.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    ZBrush's incremental improvements have surpassed many other software manufacturer's full version changes.
  • thechocokirby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thechocokirby vertex
    yaschan, do you actually have it? Does anyone? I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with custom brushes. I know you can't import them, but can you make them? I'd like to get it because of it's pricing, but if you can't even make custom brushes...
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    yaschan, do you actually have it? Does anyone? I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with custom brushes. I know you can't import them, but can you make them? I'd like to get it because of it's pricing, but if you can't even make custom brushes...
    I have it. Yeah, you can make your own.