Home Technical Talk

Is making Zbrush characters supposed to be fun?

adaweawe
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
adaweawe polycounter lvl 3
I got into this thinking it would be so interesting making these 3d characters, but now that I have done a month long character to completion, most of the time it felt like mind-numbing hard work and required so much patience. 

Replies

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Welcome to 3D art.
    Actually welcome to making anything in general. 
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Well thats game art in general, parts of it are always fun! other parts are just a chore but the result is worth it and the chores feel less painful after a few years
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    If you don't find it fun I at least hope that you find it rewarding or fulfilling in some other way. I do wonder though - what exactly did you feel was mind numbing and how does the resulting character of this mind numbing process look like? 
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just asking because if everyone else feels it is a very fun job, then clearly I am doing something wrong. But if everyone else thinks it is indeed grueling and tough, then I know we are all in the same boat.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    So, are you happy with the result, or does the result not matter to you, when you have to put in all that effort?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Frankly ZBrush is usually the most enjoyable part of the process to me. Once you get passed the sculpting stage it just becomes this slog of monotonous technical prep work until animation, with a brief respite for painting materials.

Best advice I could give you is to really optimize how you work to reduce the amount of time spent doing tedious bullshit so that you can focus more on the artistic aspects. Unless that raptor has a full set of animations, a month is a really long time to spend on that so there are probably a lot of areas you could save time on.
  • Zorro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorro polycounter lvl 4
    adaweawe said:
    I got into this thinking it would be so interesting making these 3d characters, but now that I have done a month long character to completion, most of the time it felt like mind-numbing hard work and required so much patience. 
    I got into these forums thinking it would be fun to contribute but I reply to mind-numbing posts that require so much patience. Do you honestly, seriously, expect a valid reply?

Really?
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Op: Then don't be a character artist. Simple.

I don't know what other sort of reply you would expect but "I tried a thing, I didn't like it" is hardly headline news. I do that most days.
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just asking because if everyone else feels it is a very fun job, then clearly I am doing something wrong. But if everyone else thinks it is indeed grueling and tough, then I know we are all in the same boat.
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorro said:
    adaweawe said:
    I got into these forums thinking it would be fun to contribute but I reply to mind-numbing posts that require so much patience. Do you honestly, seriously, expect a valid reply?

Really?
    Then don't reply.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    adaweawe said:
    I think most of us enjoy the feeling we get when we finish a project and can see the fruits of our labor.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Frankly ZBrush is usually the most enjoyable part of the process to me. Once you get passed the sculpting stage it just becomes this slog of monotonous technical prep work until animation, with a brief respite for painting materials.
    Hehe, It's the opposite for me usually.. I slog through the ZBrush phase (if not avoidable from the outset) and enjoy most of the rest ;)

..but I don't do character art, so there's that.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Definitely a lot different if you're not making a character
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Find something else then. I don't think it's a good idea to specilize into something that you don't enjoy.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Rig \ pose that character, make an awesome illustration with it for your portfolio. Use it for something.
    Try making characters of the gender you're attracted to. It might give you a boost in effort.
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice. I think when a person does too much of anything they will tend to get sick of it as well. 

...also not sure why this thread was moved out of the General Forum
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    So its your first character? Unless you are a natural it takes quite a lot to produce a finished product. Nothing new to you now ;) A character artist does not one raptor make. Anyhow one of the things that slow people down is producing the entire finished product, and doing that from the start can be pretty demotivating, unless you are crazy like me and enjoy every part of the process.

Maybe a good way around the situation would be to produce characters up to a certain stage, like sculpts.  Not all the time, just to alternate and keep your energy peaked.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Try to consider the work not as an art creation,  self expression  but rather as a business procedure / money making machine.           With such angle you would find a lot of challenges  and  effectiveness  puzzles.    Solving such puzzles would give you a special pleasure.   Doing something in super quick and elegant manner while others need month for same for example.    

After all  the gameart is not a true art,  it's a commercial art.    Will never be a part of art history studying. 

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    gnoop said:
    Try to consider the work not as an art creation,  self expression  but rather as a business procedure / money making machine.
    ....[removed]....
         After all  the gameart is not a true art,  it's a commercial art.    Will never be a part of art history studying. 
    I mostly agree, when I'm doing the work for someone. But when doing portfolio work? Game art is absolutely a form of true art and self-expression. Yes, it's with the end goal of being hired and becoming a "money making machine" (for the company, not so much for you), but even then, you can find ways to express yourself within the art, through the workflow, through the small touches, etc.

And as for game art not being a "true art", I wholly disagree. Certain games are already being touted as art, and it's only bound to grow as people become more aware of what the medium can be. And I can say that personally, I've looked at game art and been overcome with the same feeling I get from looking at more traditional forms of art. So whether or not it is ever considered true art by the mainstream, it certainly is true art.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Nobody who has ever seen Shadow of the Colossus or Okami, just to name two, could ever say that game art isn't art.

And sometimes making a character in ZBrush is fun, sometimes it's mind-numbing. But it's like the Hero's Journey - eventually, it ceases to be mind numbing, and starts to be fun again.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Joopson said:
     Certain games are already being touted as art, and it's only bound to grow as people become more aware of what the medium can be.
    I hear that last 20 years.    And while cinema took maybe 10 years since its very beginning  to rise from a cheap attraction to a  recognised form of art , it looks like  games are not even close to be  as lucky.  

They miss very necessary part,  an artist personalization,  not company ,  not franchise.   And more developed  and expensive they are getting ,  more they actually deviate from art.   All those NDA  and pipelines   are  from completely different vocabulary.   

Some time ago I saw a  huge 17 century  Dutch gobelin.  It amazed me.  Such a weird and mysterious  dark blue/indigo/grey thing.    Like modern  post color grading in movies.          Was definitely a hard working business  counting every bit to squeeze  a few gold for lucky owner.   Who knows, maybe not successful at all with poor guys sitting behind  weaver machines all  their days.

Now It stuck to my mind as an allegory of gamedev. We are those weavers  behind our Windows weaving machines. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Defining the game industry by titles with $100m+ budgets is like defining the film industry by the latest Marvel movie.

And yet people keep doing it. Whether they're complaining about the lack of innovation in games, lack of diversity, lack of artistic vision, its always the same tunnelvision on AAA titles designed to offer cinematic action experiences to the largest possible audience.

If you guys actually bothered to play smaller titles and indie games you'd realize how much more is out there.
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the replies guys...it is extremely helpful to get perspective. The pressure of producing a good portfolio to get a job really got to me....my advice is to remember to always make time for breaks, relax, and learning other interests. I don't think it is worth sacrificing your mental and physical well being for the video game industry.
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding video game art as not true art....remember that the art historians study today was the COMMERCIAL art of the past. Da Vinci, Michalangelo, were all working off of commisions and their mediums were the highest technology of the day! 

there was a whole science and technology to mixing and preserving oil paints. they didn't have the easy tubes we have now.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    sculpting is the most fun 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    At the beginning of learning zbrush, it's definitely hard.  There is absolutely no doubt about that.  Still, it should be fun learning all the new information of how to improve your characters.  I very much enjoy the process of making a fell character.  Sculpting is my favorite portion of the process though.  Once I am done with a character, if I feel l learned new info and made something I feel is an improvement of my previous art works, I am usually pretty happy about it.  If you don't feel like you are learning anything and you are having no fun doing it either, you are in the wrong profession.  Even when I made my first few sculpts(which all sucked), I was having a blast doing it.  Just knowing that I was getting used to Zbrush and seeing the improvement from one piece to another was worth the time.  Just my ten cents...
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    adaweawe said:
    We are obviously not in the same boat. If you don't love the process then honestly I don't think you will make it in a production environment. A lot of the time you wont be making hero assets, early in your career you may even be making stuff you cant stand. That,s where loving the process comes in, it will get you through the dark days. Walk away now, save yourself.

TLDR; You need to be more in love with making characters than the idea of being a character artist. That doesn't sound like the case here.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To be fair even though the sky is the limit in terms of level of detail and rendering quality, I think it's fair to say that the process itself can be painful at times ... especially when it comes to certain tools.

For instance even though Zbrush is now industry standard it still has *huge* shortcomings that negatively affects everyone's workflow - and the fact that artists "power through" it doesn't change that. Similarly most if not all 3d apps are less than ideal when it comes to some specific tasks, and Autodesk apps being bug-ridden or more sluggish every year certainly doesn't help.

At the end of the day it's important to clearly identify if something is painful and tiresome because of a lack of planning and poor design, or, if it is painful and boring because the tool being used is not fit for the job.

There's also definitely something to be said about a current-day specced, realistically sculpted and shaded character taking around a month to complete as opposed to a Quake3-era lightweight model + texture that one can wrap up in a matter of days. If anything my advice to the OP would be to try this out.
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    seth. said:
    adaweawe said:
    We are obviously not in the same boat. If you don't love the process then honestly I don't think you will make it in a production environment. A lot of the time you wont be making hero assets, early in your career you may even be making stuff you cant stand. That,s where loving the process comes in, it will get you through the dark days. Walk away now, save yourself.

TLDR; You need to be more in love with making characters than the idea of being a character artist. That doesn't sound like the case here.
    ^ That is on the money. I get the process being frustrating at parts but there shouldn't be any need for validation outside of feeling that you've grown as an artist or that you enjoy the final product. 
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior
    " ...Quake3-era lightweight model + texture that one can wrap up in a matter of days. If anything my advice to the OP would be to try this out."

thanks man i will try that.
  • adaweawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saw this in a programming book today, seems relevant:
     If you’re new to this game, I want to assure you that spending time learning tools is normal.
    Everyone goes through it. Sometimes it is frustrating, and it’s easy to get impatient when
    you have an awesome web app in your head and you just want to learn Rails already, but
    have to spend a week learning some weird ancient Unix editor just to get started. But a
    craftsman has to know his tools; in the end the reward is worth the effort