Home General Discussion

Working from Home

vertex
Offline / Send Message
fauxNormal vertex

Hey everyone,

Just landed a job in 3D Environment Art for Games. This happens to be my first salaried role in the Industry, so I'm quite excited at the prospect of working alongside others in a permanent capacity. At the moment, I'll be working remotely from home which is something I've never done before.

I start in November after I've worked my notice period at my current place of work, and I'd just like to ask a couple of questions to anyone that's been in a similar position either now or in the past:

1.) What kind of strategies did you put in place for working from home? - Usually home has been my little sanctum from work, so I'm imagining this will take some getting used to.

2.) How did you make the transition between being socially active around colleagues all day every day to being a little more isolated effectively working within a single room? - I don't have kids so I've not got that to deal with.

I've taken on plenty of short-term freelance projects at home in the past, but never anything longer than a couple of weeks.

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you seen this page? Some similar info here
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    First of I think you need to be a little bit asocial for it to work in the long run to be honest.
    Ive been working from home for almost 3 years now.

secondly I would say make sure you have a proper schedule. I break my day up like this, and I try my best not to move these around so much time wise.
    breakfast, start working, lunch, stop working, "go home/dinner/free time". try to have these at set times, and dont change it from day to day.

Ive also heard of people who put on work clothes even at home, for example; eat breakfast, change to suit and go to work desk. just do make sure you have a  proper separation between work and home.

hope that helps!
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    Thanks @lotet, yeah I figured breaking the day into work like structure would be the most logical choice. It can't be any more stressful than the job I have at the moment and that's probably something else I'll have to get used to.

Thanks for the advice!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've been working from home/doing freelance for the past couple of years. I wholeheartedly agree that you need to build the proper habits from the get go. I didn't and wound up working way too much/too long because I didn't have a proper mental barrier between work and home. Some people go as far as having a separate room or PC just for work. This is probably ideal if you are doing freelance long-term. Otherwise I agree completely with lotet, set up some guidelines for your day and stick to those so you don't get sucked in. Make sure you make time to go out and be social because it can take its toll.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also deduct from your taxes if you have a separate office space in your home/apartment. 
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    Cheers for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

Eric, that's interesting...I wonder if that's still applicable in the UK whilst technically fully contracted by a studio?...something I need to investigate further.

I do have a separate area in which I can work which is great, and the studio are supplying the hardware so I don't have to worry about using my PC which is nice.

There are a huge amount of positives to come from the change though, being active on here being one of them. At my current job I'm not able to sit for most of the day, and when I do I'm usually planning for the afternoon/next day or completely burned out from the day.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone. I'll start to become a lot more active on here from November, so look forward to being a little more integrated into the forum. 

All the best!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congratulations! 
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Boy that's going to be one hell of a verbal challenge to explain that you can't work today because you were snowed in or late because of traffic. Or late at all...  :#

Also, congratulations.
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    @Thane-  Especially as both the co-owners live in North Wales where we get Snow in May! Haha.

Cheers! I'm pretty excited to start, just another month and a half to go!
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    Good luck!

I've done freelance from home in the past, honestly I don't mind it if I'm able to make a point of going outdoors everyday (just to escape the same 4 walls), have people around / friends I can meet up with outside of working hours. I seriously can't underemphasize just how important all those things are - especially the social thing, you really feel a need for that when you're home alone.
  • Bhrazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bhrazz polycounter lvl 17
    If you can stay in your pyjama all day and made money, you won life!
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    That was my thinking too @Bhrazz . Aww yisss.

Good luck!

I've done freelance from home in the past, honestly I don't mind it if I'm able to make a point of going outdoors everyday (just to escape the same 4 walls), have people around / friends I can meet up with outside of working hours. I seriously can't underemphasize just how important all those things are - especially the social thing, you really feel a need for that when you're home alone.

Yeah, I think having time for friends is going to be pretty essential for me. Something I've neglected for the past couple of years in my current role.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was actually thinking about getting a laptop, so I could get out of my place sometimes and still get some work done, especially since a Starbucks has just replaced a bar 20 meters from my place. ;)
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    McGreed said:
    I was actually thinking about getting a laptop, so I could get out of my place sometimes and still get some work done, especially since a Starbucks has just replaced a bar 20 meters from my place. ;)
    I get half price Costa where I'm at right now....which is probably one of the only things I'll miss :expressionless:

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I've been working from home for almost 2 years now. The first part is fairly easy, you just give yourself a regular work schedule and try to get things done within that time. I found that it develops naturally over time, especially if you have steady work. There are days when I stretch work out throughout the whole day, but I found that it's actually a nice change of pace. 

The second part is something I still struggle with. A few months back I've taken on so much work I would hardly go out anywhere. When you sit at home all day, it's surprisingly easy to get yourself in a mode where you do nothing but work. Now that my schedule calmed down a bit, I've signed myself up for language classes and got a gym membership. 

+1 to the idea of getting a laptop. As soon as some nice lightweight Pascal laptops drop I will be picking one up myself. 
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    I assume that because it's a full-time position and not freelance, the work will be steady enough.

I know what you mean about taking too much on though, always seems reasonable when you think about the amount of time you theoretically have...until things start to take a while longer than expected!

Luckily the studio are supplying the hardware, which is laptop based, so I'll be able to get out much more freely. I'm assuming there will be a fair amount of reference gathering involved in the inttial stages too, so that could be a good opportunity to get out and about!
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex

+1 to the idea of getting a laptop. As soon as some nice lightweight Pascal laptops drop I will be picking one up myself. 
    I believe the new ASUS GL502 series have the 1060 and 1070s? I have the older version with the 970m but apparently it's no bigger and they're using the same chassis.

Linky here
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should mention that I'm very biased against gaming laptops. It's a bit silly, but I just can't stand the aesthetic. I'm waiting for something like a new Asus UX (which should have similar specs to the GL version if they follow the example of UX501 and G501) or a new Dell XPS. It might be a while before we get some nice ultrabooks with Pascal GPUs though.

Going back to your previous post, I think taking your work on the go is a really great idea. Personally I've been considering going even further and taking my work to another country for a few weeks.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    - make sure you leave the house everyday. in the morning i go for a 15-30 min walk as if i was on my way to work and tell myself mentally that when i came back home i'm at work now. (been doing a longtime, you start talking to inanimate objects as if they are co-workers, office politics are a bitch though i'm pretty sure the house plants are spreading rumours about me)
    - some kind of physical activity minimum 3 times a week, preferably away from home.
    -turn off the internet. use your phone or another device to listen to music but don't keep it on your desk. if you need to check emails or look for reference don't do it often, only 2-3 hours.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Been working from home full-time since February and feel this is an easy thing to answer: Be disciplined. You have work to do. Do it.

If you're not a disciplined artist and know yourself to be someone who is distracted easily or needs to take breaks often, I feel you'll have a difficult time adjusting to being your own boss. If you are disciplined and can time yourself well, you'll do fine.
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    All awesome suggestions guys thanks. I'm going to create a condensed list of these during the week and start planning how I can implement this.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm reclusive by nature, so when I started doing most of my work from home, I started to get a little... cabin fevery, from the lack of social interaction, or going out in general. Might not be as much an issue for people who actually have a life, but I did get accustomed to it eventually.
    Having extra monitors to watch shows on while working does a lot to help keep me sane, too XD
    If I really need to focus, I'll just listen to music instead.

I think others said it already, but setting a schedule for yourself is pretty important. You need to be strict with your time, because it's way too easy to slip and start slacking off.
    I have a phone app that times me, both so that I know how long to keep working, and when I should take a break to stretch and move around.
    Don't just say that you'll work X amount of time each day. Say that you'll work starting from Y and ending at Z, and stick to it every day. If you want to work past that it's fine, but do what you've set as the minimum each day.
    Defining a particular project goal for the day is good as well, to ensure you make good pace while working.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    +1 to the info in the thread. I've lately been taking a few onsite freelance contracts and it's been refreshing to get out and be with people again while working. Moving forward, I'm going to make the extra effort to spend some time at more meetups in my area as well as working once a week in a coffee shop or bar (when writing).
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing I forgot to mention. I've been using ManicTime to track my work performance during the day. It collects data about your software, web usage, time away from the pc and lets you create custom tags. It's surprisingly powerful and I found it great at measuring how much time I spend at actual work vs reading dumb stuff on the internet. 
  • fauxNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fauxNormal vertex
    That's really cool, I'll look into that!