Home Technical Talk

How to achieve Overwatch style textures?

Katmog
null
Offline / Send Message
Katmog null
I'm aiming to achieve an Overwatch style theme for a University project, however I am a little unsure of the texturing pipeline that would work the best for something of this style.

Overwatch uses quite a lot of PBR but still manages to look hand painted at the same time, what kind of texturing pipeline would I be looking at to achieve these style of textures?

Would I be able to achieve these kind of styles in say substance painter or quixel ddo?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    I haven't looked at it too closely but most of their look seems to come from sculpting with a lot of large color patches, mixed with an overall gradient from head to toe. 
  • Katmog
    Offline / Send Message
    Katmog null
    I guess the question I'm mainly asking is how would I go about combining a hand-painted style with PBR? Would I do it all in one program or hand paint first and add PBR later?
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    http://polycount.com/discussion/135431/pbr-dagger

Might be of some use to you - shows how to get a good outcome from using Stylised + PBR approach. Note that this uses the PBR-Specular method and not PBR-Metalness. 

Remember that textures don't have to look realistic to use a PBR workflow. :) Physically-correct can kind of be summarised as just behaving realistically under light.

I.E. metals look metal, plastics look plastic, etc. The materials on the sword are far from realistic, but they still act believably under different lighting schemes =)

Personally (I don't do much stylised stuff yet) I'd probably model the high poly and sculpt damage in ZBrush. Bake a Normal Map + AO + Cavity map.

Use the Cavity map to extract edge highlights and overlay this onto roughness texture to make the edges pop a lot more. Could also do this on the Albedo (but it would be slightly more unrealistic/less physically correct.) From there I'd paint the texture by hand as normal, then copy the metal areas over to a metalness map as white (I use Metalness usually, not Specular). Leave non-metal areas black. Make a Gloss/Roughness map (similar to how you'd make the Specular - but greyscale) - use the Marmoset PBR chart for approximate greyscale values of each material =P
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
  • Katmog
    Offline / Send Message
    Katmog null
    http://polycount.com/discussion/135431/pbr-dagger

Might be of some use to you - shows how to get a good outcome from using Stylised + PBR approach. Note that this uses the PBR-Specular method and not PBR-Metalness. 

Remember that textures don't have to look realistic to use a PBR workflow. :) Physically-correct can kind of be summarised as just behaving realistically under light.

I.E. metals look metal, plastics look plastic, etc. The materials on the sword are far from realistic, but they still act believably under different lighting schemes =)

Personally (I don't do much stylised stuff yet) I'd probably model the high poly and sculpt damage in ZBrush. Bake a Normal Map + AO + Cavity map.

Use the Cavity map to extract edge highlights and overlay this onto roughness texture to make the edges pop a lot more. Could also do this on the Albedo (but it would be slightly more unrealistic/less physically correct.) From there I'd paint the texture by hand as normal, then copy the metal areas over to a metalness map as white (I use Metalness usually, not Specular). Leave non-metal areas black. Make a Gloss/Roughness map (similar to how you'd make the Specular - but greyscale) - use the Marmoset PBR chart for approximate greyscale values of each material =P
    Ah! This has been helpful thank you :)

The sword is similar to what I'm looking at, I wasn't quite sure to how hand-painted textures would turn out as I've only ever tried PBR on photo-realistic textures, but this seems to work without looking too strange.
    Z-brush does seem like a good option for this kind of process and I know that Blizzard use it very heavily, even in WoW for flat wall pieces which is something I'm wanting to try out too.

I actually googled "stylised PBR" after you had mentioned it which came up with a few decent results I hadn't managed to find before which should help also. I hadn't thought of trying that as a key-word, derp. 
  • Katmog
    Offline / Send Message
    Katmog null
    RN said:
    There was this thread here, if it helps:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2446190
    I had spotted this earlier! It's quite an interesting read :D

I was mainly curious on their actual texturing pipeline, such as which software they use to achieve these results. Things like the normals are pretty obvious to be ZBrush, but I was wondering if maybe something like Substance or DDO could create a similar outcome to speed up the texturing process? I'm not sure how they work with handpainted.