Home Technical Talk

Handpaint texture tiling/model question

Hello! Just want to ask a question on how you would go about doing something like this with a tiling texture:
https://sketchfab.com/models/6de6285caa834faabc1a81427bd58c83

If you see his model in wireframe, there is geometry at the walls and it isn't simply texture stuck onto a flat geometry:

So far I tried to replicate this by:
1. Applying texture to geometry

2. Extruding geometry where it is sensible to do so.

3. Re-UVing the geometry.
4. Completing the texture.

This seem to take too much time and it feels like I am doing something wrong. Is there a different workflow I can take to replicate this faster?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    If you are using 3DS Max it has an option to preserve UVs while editing the geometry, I used it all the time specifically for this purpose.

If you're using Blender, which it looks like you are if that 3D cursor is any indicator... then your options aren't great because its UV preservation only works with sliding. Still better than nothing though.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Atticus said it, complete a basic version of your model (roof) Apply the texture, select the option to preserve UV's and start cutting. You will need to re-work some of the Uv's after you add additional faces, try to work negatively. 

You could also apply the texture to a flat plane and model/break off chunks of the texture you want to separate and place them on top of your roof plane. I do this for Mobile games all the time.

Good luck!  
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use 3ds Max, you can also use the modifier stack like this:

UVW Mapping
    Poly Select
    Editable Poly

Working in the bottom modifier, you can model however you want. And uvs are automatic. Just turn on Show End Result.

Poly Select modifier is there to prevent the sub-object selection from restricting the uv modifier.