Home Technical Talk

Is this normal?

Sorry in advance if this is a proper noob question, but is a properly done model meant to have these shadow-like streaks going across different sections of my model? Ive checked my normals and they all seem fine, ive also checked for vertices being doubled over and there isn't any.

Replies

• LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    it's likely to be your smoothing groups need setting if I'm not mistaken, though I'm not sure how you do it in blender
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Yes. With smoothed normals on harsh edges that look is quite normal.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    In the Object Data there is an Auto Smooth option which let you select the Phong angle of the mesh. But I think it's only visually, I haven't tried exporting the mesh to see if it retains the settubgs To actually edit the normals you probably need the Blend4Web Add-on pack.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    it's ok if you intend to use a normal map. If not you'd want to play around with the edge split modifier.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello - yes, this looks normal ... but probably not what you want :) To control shading with sharp edges :

- You do not need any modifier or an add-on, and you probably don't want to rely on angle-based smoothing either if you need 100% control (sorry for disagreeing with the above suggestions but I thought I'd cut straight to the chase, I'm sure you guys will understand).

- What you probably want to to do is to selectively mark the edges you want sharp. This will export to both OBJ and FBX. Here's how to do it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8RH4jZxGA&feature=youtu.be

In short : set the shading property of the object to smooth, set auto smooth to 180, select the edges you want sharp, and mark them as such. That's about all there is to it !

(Also in the future try to make your thread title more explicit by stating which program the question relates to, it makes everybody's life easier ;) Lastly, this kind of topic usually goes to Tech Talk. I hope this makes sense !)

• Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    "is this normal?".... It's all normals, hiyooooo.

Mesh normals...