Home Technical Talk

"Fixing" Booleans for Games?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
When modeling a low poly model that may or may not be used in a game is it required to match the boolean vertices up with the ones around the boolean or not? 
My personal example is only for something going into my portfolio.
I am also using the difference boolean in Maya 2016.
Also would this be considered "fixed" or not? I do realize there are some tri's every once and while but I am not sure how to fix them. Any help is appreciated ;)

Replies

• Poseidon8734
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know how to fix these n-gons and tris?
    Trying to re-learn maya but running into some noob errors.
    Is this even fixable?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If this is the low-poly game model, don't worry about triangles. The thing will be triangles in the end anyway, so use them to easily fix those n-gons. 

I'd be more concerned about the smaller polygons (top left and bottom left) which don't necessarily contribute to the shape/silhouette of the cut circle. Those could probably be collapsed without any loss of detail.  

You could simplify this even more, depending on which edges and vertices are actually necessary in order to affect the shape, contribute to UVs, supply density for vertex colors, etc.
  • throttlekitty
    Anyone know how to fix these n-gons and tris?
    Trying to re-learn maya but running into some noob errors.
    Is this even fixable?
    Totally fixable! For the OP question, yes you should be concerned with cleaning up after booleans, or at least be in the habit of it so your final game/portfolio pieces don't have errors or too many frivolous verts. Generally it's a "use what you need" with a bit of leeway.

top-left tiny tri: select all 3 verts and Merge to Center.
    counter-clockwise, that single edge: either delete it or move and weld the inner vert to the one above it.
    the whole lower-right area on both sides of your circled triangle has some room to play with. You can collapse the triangle's edge, or start pushing the whole shape around to space the verts around better. Just depends on what you need to be doing with this shape.

The Connect function (under edit mesh i think, just not the goofy "connect tool") is handy to have on a hotkey, you can solve your n-gons by selecting two verts and hitting the key to create an edge there.
  • Poseidon8734
    Offline / Send Message
    @cryrid :Thanks you for the information about the triangle! I will try to optimize it just for practice making models "game ready". 
    @throttlekitty : Thank you! I will try those tips