Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED | Golem City & Swiss Alps | Environment work

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mlanoie triangle

Hi everyone, this is my first post ever on Polycount. :)

After many years of hard work on Mankind Divided, posting this thread feels like a relief for me. I worked on the game since pre-production as a Senior Level Artist.

I was in charge of two levels, Golem City and Swiss Alps. Level Art, Modeling, Materials&Texturing were done by me and also some Lighting and FX. I also polished as much as I could materials and textures in the whole game.

The wheel mounted cabins on the last image of Swiss Alps were done by Marc-Antoine Hamelin.

Hope you enjoy !

This is the basic Housing Unit module I created to build Golem City. It measures 16m x 8m x 4m. Starting from this unit, there are hundreds of possible permutations, replacing certain sections by others that I obviously won't show here, like walls, windows, doors, airvents, roofs, and floors. I had to take into consideration to have at least 1m of height (cover system) on wall covers, windows, inside and outside, and also across door frames. I also needed at least 30cm of wall thickness for sound purposes. Doors and windows needed to have a specific size, Level Design purposes. The whole mesh could not have any section that would extrude more than 10cm from its base collision; navmesh & cover purposes. Corners had to be dead square also for the same reasons. So the thing had to be pretty flat but I tried to make it look as "not flat" as possible.

As this is a very large mesh and we can see it up close, texturing was also very complex to achieve because nothing tiles, everything is unique. The only way to have a good pixel ratio was to use the "Hybrid Assembly Line Technique". This is a method we use on DX, it takes long to do, but you save a lot on texture memory and you have an amazing pixel ratio. So what you see at the bottom right corner is a single diffuse 1024x1024 texture that I used to create 4 (16mx4m) walls, 2 (8mx4m) walls and also all of the other modules related to this one. All of those walls/modules are unique and look different from each other, using the same 1024x1024 texture I mentioned above.

Replies