Home Technical Talk

Quixel to Unreal. Specular colors not showing

vertex
Offline / Send Message
TomWoodArt vertex
Hi there, 

I'm using Quixel DDO to create a door. The handle is Brass. It saves the goldy/yellow color in the specular map. And looks great in the 3DO.

I import eveything into Unreal, create a material and assign the textures into the right slots. The brass handle comes out black instead of the gold looking color it should be. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Unreal uses the metalness workflow, not specular so create your textures accordingly.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Yep!

@m4dcow is spot on. UE4 doesn't use specular maps, at least not as we know them. You can plug them in but they don't really have much of an effect - it's more for special materials, which brass won't fall into as it's a basic metal that's covered by the roughness/metalness workflow. :)

Did you set your project up as UE4 when you created it in DDO? If you didn't, it's relatively simple to fix. Just use the DDO menu --> Add New Map --> Roughness - repeat for Metallic. Export as UE4 (or UE4 RMA-packed to save texture memory) and plug the maps into the correct slots after you've set the *_reflection.* texture (RMA-packed) or roughness/metallic to Masks compression.

If you need assistance with any software that Quixel develops, please visit us at our subforum!