Home Technical Talk

New to Building / Enviroment Modeling. Looking for some advice

TankJim
null
Offline / Send Message
TankJim null
Hi Everyone

I've been an animator in the industry for a while. I enjoy 3D modelling but have quite a few missing gaps.

I'm going to model about 10 wooden buildings for a project I'm on. It would be pretty cool if I could get them up to current generation standards and maybe one day use one of them in a showreel.

I've been looking around for some tutorials, particularly on the polycount wiki. I've found a couple but thought it would be worth asking here too. Can you recommend some game environment tutorials focused on current standards?

I dont mind paying a bit of money for them, so if gnomon workship have an up to date tutorial it would be worth the investment. I've had a look at digitaltutors but the tutorial is more focused on 3DSMax.

Tools I'm using are Maya, Photoshop and Unity. I'm happy to learn some of Qixels programs.

Thanks very much!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For current standards, learn about PBR. Quixel and Allegorithmic both have great tools for generating PBR maps.

We have a good PBR page on the wiki to get you started.

Also learn Zbrush. A sculpting tool is really essential for generating current-gen assets. You'll need a normal-mapped asset to get the most out of those PBR tools.

We also have a wealth of texture baking and normal map info on the wiki.
  • TankJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TankJim null
    Thanks Eric, i'll take a look at Quixel. I've seen it in use, looks great.