Home Technical Talk

Building a 3D Prop Artist portfolio

kevingamerartist
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kevingamerartist polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

So I've been doing some research online on how to organize my portfolio and what to do to build one for a 3D Prop Artist job. From what I have found out so far is that whichever job you're aiming for in the Art department, you should have an album on your website that is dedicated for that type of position.

My question is that when building a 3D Prop Artist portfolio, should all the objects you build be similar, as in should they all look like objects that would exist in the same environment, or can you build different objects that have peaked your interest?

I'm just trying to get a grasp at what studios would be looking for, so when I do apply for that type of position, I'll be ready.

Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Well... what kinda props you want to make ?  You could also categorize them by genre (sci-fi, modern, medieval, post-apoc), or by usability (potions, grenades, smartphones, weapons, furniture), or something ?

You could give example of what kind of stuff you want to be making. 
  • kevingamerartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevingamerartist polycounter lvl 6
    @PyrZern  Well I've been thinking of making a general amount, like a mix of everything, or props that peak my interest. I'm not sure if I have a specific category yet, but I'm just wondering if making a various of different props if that is fine?
  • OverTheMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OverTheMoon polycounter lvl 6
    Having a good range is a good idea, but if you've got decent pieces in your portfolio, a decent artist should be able to evaluate your general level of skill. Creating a model that is basically proportionally correct and has a set of textures for it that aren't a mess basically implies that I can trust you to do a variety of work, perhaps with a little encouragement. I'd focus on quality and making your site very easy to use, so I see your good stuff as soon as I arive and it's abundantly clear where I can get useful information about you... like your CV, and how to contact you.

That's just my two cents. I happen to be pretty trusting though, and think that people who are generally qualified can do what's asked of them given the oportunity. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This page should also help with how you build your portfolio.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio