Home Technical Talk

Efficient way to level up in Polycount?

diglett
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
diglett polycounter lvl 2
I think it is pretty cool that you level up on this forum and would like to know if there is a fast way for leveling, do I need to farm? lol

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I would not honestly worry about it. The vast majority of people on this website do not care too much about the Polycount ranks. It is just a very rough indication of how much you have posted here. Just get ranks through normal use of the forum rather than trying to artificially get your rank up by trying to make posts where possible.

There is an (Mostly inaccurate) but still partially accurate list of the number of posts required to get each rank that I posted in this thread  a few posts down. I do not think we have been given an accurate listing of exactly how much posts are required to reach each rank.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Says the wise Kung-Fu master when asked by his students why they don't have a belt colour ranking system: "In Chinese martial arts, we use belts to keep our trousers from falling down......" ;)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the ranking can also be misleading in that it's marking quantity and not quality plus how long you been here. So sure, you could 'farm' yourself up by spamming posts, but overall it would be counter productive, since your 'game' would be filled with rubbish. ;)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    What's with the "Point:" in your profile? Is there any info on this?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde said:
    What's with the "Point:" in your profile? Is there any info on this?
    Points in your Profile do nothing. We don't use this feature on Polycount, except for automated Abuse/Spam moderation, see: 
    http://polycount.com/discussion/172785/the-flag-button-and-how-it-works
  • diglett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick
    From what I understand the way this works seems to promote spam. Why not level up according to level of appreciate i.e. insightful=25exp awesome=50exp etc.. I think this mechanic has a lot of potential. From what I'm reading it seems like it hasn't been explored unfortunately.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diglett said:
    @Eric Chadwick
    From what I understand the way this works seems to promote spam. Why not level up according to level of appreciate i.e. insightful=25exp awesome=50exp etc.. I think this mechanic has a lot of potential. From what I'm reading it seems like it hasn't been explored unfortunately.
    This would destroy the existing ranks, as each person can only have one rank at a time. So I bet people would get upset.

The forum assigns the highest rank you're eligible for. No one would have 2 ranks, one based on posts and the other based on points, there can be only one.

• diglett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting the vibe  it's just not worth it, but I mean a solution to that would be to give bonus xp to the higher level players on reset to compensate say a veteran gets like 1000xp bonus on reset nothing enough to set them golden but enough to have the deserved head start, scaling for different levels. Stuff like that would promote good feedback, and overall communication on the forum.  just saying
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea. But we have no mechanism in place to convert post count via some equation into points.

As far as development time goes, we have bigger fish to fry first:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/171573/forum-features-wishlist/p1