Home Technical Talk

Zbrush/Max Workflow: export/import problems.

mikejkelley
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mikejkelley polycounter lvl 18

Hi all. I'm a novice sculptor. I'm working on a feathery T. Rex in zbrush. I'm at the point where I want to create maps in xNormal, but first I want to tweak the UVs and create cage meshes in 3ds max.

I'm attempting to export from zbrush into max, and then from max back into zbrush (to make sure the low poly .objs are the same size and in the same position as their decimated counterparts), then out again for xNormal.

The problem is that when I export from max back into zbrush the scale and positioning of the low poly is all wrong. I can fix the scaling by making sure the Geometry>Size>XYZ Size is the same as the original, but I don't trust myself to get the positioning perfect. Could I paper over the offset with another Project All procedure?

Actually I guess my first question should be: is this even the right workflow? And how can I ensure that the positioning doesn't change when exporting/importing?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think it's general good practice to start a model in max at the scale you require, then go into zbrush to sculpt and detail it. that way, assuming you make sure to transfer your files back and forth using OBJ format and setting scale to 1.0 in the im/exporter dialogs, it won't change later on.

in your case, exporting a low res version of your sculpt into max using this method, aligning the cage mesh to it and exporting that to Z should give a predictable result you can continue to work with.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The best advice I can give is to buy the Styx plugin. Simply put it completely erases the ZB to Max/Maya scale headaches. There are many ways to set up a system to bridge ZB and keep your scale consistent but since getting Styx I have a perfect bridge that works 100%. I have nothing to do with the dev but this tool has completely changed the way I work and saved me 100 times its price (5 quid) in time. It is pure gold if ZB is an integral part of your workflow and, like me, you jump back and forth all the time.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yup. If you started your model in zbrush using GoZ is the quickest method to move your mesh between apps. Pressing one button instead of exporting and reimporting are extra steps that are no longer needed. The default zsphere in zbrush is very small in 3dsmax. Most people use the default zsphere to start a character in zbrush, typically a head. Even if you use a standard sphere  and use dynamesh the resulting model will be too small in max. You will want your model to be at a perfect scale in max for many reasons, some are: handing the model off to a client, or if you wanted to export from max to a game engine and so on. The easy fix is,

Make sure 3dsmax is set to unit measurements you need under main menu/ customize/ units setup. Metric, centimeters is a good setting generally. Then press system units setup and specify what  you want. The first setting is for max viewports the second is for export import.

Build a box in max using the measurements in the modify panel to specify the real size/position  you want your model to be in whatever virtual world you need it for.

Use GoZ in zbrush to send you character (or whatever it is) to max. It will be sent at the lowest subd level.

Its best to have zbrush and max open together. Go to the export dialog in zbrush at the bottom of the tools palet and alter the settings until the character is the exact size you want in max. Mostly this will be the zbrush scale settings and the 'Y' axis settings. Use the tab key to set your measurements in the export dialog as zbrush doesnt recognize the enter key for this menu.

When things are how you want save the ztool or project and the export settings will be saved with it. Anytime you send from zbrush using  the  settings from that file the size and position will be perfect in both apps. If you have trouble sending something from max at the beginning of a session to that file, send something from the zbrush file to max first.

Cheers
  • mikejkelley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the advice! Musashidan, I just purchased Styx. If it works, $5 will be a small price to pay to rectify the worst workflow problem I've ever encountered. Thanks!
  • mikejkelley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Styx not preserve UVs?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @mikejkelley No problem, mate. Yes, Styx preserves UVs. It just basically does a 'copy to clipboard/paste' of the .obj(which is a human-readable text file)

Just be aware that ZB flips UV space(not faces) and also has a habit of breaking UV verts, especially in GoZ. Although I haven't experienced vert-breaking using Styx.