Home General Discussion

Buying Software (ZBrush) overseas? What about taxes and other additional costs?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, right now I'm struggeling because I can't find a clear answer.

I wanted to buy a ZBrush License, in the US the good prices are about 650USD (from motionmedia.com for example) where locally, here in Germany I would need to pay over 800 Euros, which are about 920USD.

I can't find a definitive answer if taxes apply when buying just the license overseas and the software itself is just a download.

Does anyone have experiences with this and can help me out?

Thanks a bunch :)

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    sadly it's the same story as any other digital download software/game

some stuff is twice the price for me in japan compared to the american prices.
    tried to find ways around it but yeah just causes problems that I have to spend time on.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    this is why you move to 3rd world countries ;)
    don't have to deal with crap like this

just pay what the Americans are paying for it
  • TheFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I just sent two messages to retailers in the US and both said that they can not sell it outside of the US.
    Which means I really need to think about spending about 900-1000usd on ZBrush. Well, sh**.
    Just hit up Pixologic directly, we'll see what they can tell me and I'll let you know then.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    They are soon releasing the free/cheap version for students, I believe. Check it out.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    PyrZern said:
    They are soon releasing the free/cheap version for students, I believe. Check it out.
    Cool! Is there a source for this?
  • TheFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is called ZBrushCore and looks like a trimmed down version, could probably be enough for me. We will see. :) 
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?202273-Announcing-ZBrushCore

I need to see how the price will be and what is in that package, I might still need to buy the "full" version. But nevertheless, cain't wait for this years ZSummit and the release of ZBrush 5 and ZBrushCore. 
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    TheFlow said:
    It is called ZBrushCore and looks like a trimmed down version, could probably be enough for me. We will see. :) 
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?202273-Announcing-ZBrushCore

I need to see how the price will be and what is in that package, I might still need to buy the "full" version. But nevertheless, cain't wait for this years ZSummit and the release of ZBrush 5 and ZBrushCore. 
    If it still has the zremesher, I might get it
    if not well... it's the only reason I was considering getting zbrush.
    I'm a "strict polymodeller" kind of guy.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    PyrZern said:

From the looks of the wording on the Intuos 3D page it looks like it is not free, but cheap.
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Zbrush Core comes "free" with a 200$ Wacom.

OP you could buy a used Z-Brush license. I've just searched the web very shortly and i think Pixologic doesn't actually mind Users selling their license to other users. Pixologic is awesome, but even if they wheren't, there are the special "rights" here in Europe/ Germany.
    If you can buy a license, you can also sell it.
    Its 100% legal.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Ryusaki said:
    Zbrush Core comes "free" with a 200$ Wacom.

OP you could buy a used Z-Brush license. I've just searched the web very shortly and i think Pixologic doesn't actually mind Users selling their license to other users. Pixologic is awesome, but even if they wheren't, there are the special "rights" here in Europe/ Germany.
    If you can buy a license, you can also sell it.
    Its 100% legal.

Before you could transfer licenses, but I think they took this away, so you shouldn't be able to buy used licenses anymore.
  • TheFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So just to clarify my initial question, because probably someone else thinks about it: I just bought ZBrush from Pixologic since they offer 20% off right now during the ZBrush Summit 2016. Price is 585€ and there is no additional taxes applied or something. :)