Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

would like crits

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    so a few things jump out to me
    you're wrinkles arent believable, nor are they realistic. I'd go back and figure that out. (When I draw clothes with wrinles I imagine the clothes were made out of rings, and that helps me understand how wrinkles fold due to gravity. Also reference)

Everything looks really soft and not well defined, and pretty rushed.  I dont know how long this took, but I might suggest taking a bit longer and getting the correct forms of the figure down. Specifically the head. 

Keep  it up! :D

• Tomtegubbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomtegubbe triangle
    It's a good start, what you might want to look up are zig zag folds. Keep up the good work. ;)

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Sarsky
    You don't have to make a new thread for each new update, btw :P  Always possible to just keep it all under one thread.

As others have stated, your clothing wrinkles are still suffering.  What subdivision level are you trying to sculpt them at?
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    I think I know where Brian is going, it looks like you are sculpting stuff at a really high poly count before you figure out the main forms. Make sure you always start working with a low poly count to figure out the main forms. 
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    One thing I notice, and that I still struggle with quite a bit, is when sculpting in Zbrush, things tend to look puffier or more inflated than they would be in real life. The clothing on this character for example looks really puffy. I'd say try to aim to make the form much thinner either with Subtraction on Clay brushes or something a bit harsher like Trim Dynamic.

Also can we see a close up of the head? Something looks weird on one side of the face versus the other and I was curious what that was and if it's intentional or not.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @pmiller001
    i have spent probably 18 hours or so on the clothing wrinkles, at first i didnt have any folds and made it really lumpy, so then i read burne hogarths drapery book to understand acnchor points and etc which then i got to wher@pmiller001
    i am really struggling with certain type of folds like traps, zig zag and etc... but i like that idea you gave me of creating rings in certain areas then applying gravity to it and kinetic forces! i might try that out.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @Tomtegubbe thanks pal! thats aweosme reference you gave me!, i will definately start studying that now, i am glad that i have layers for my folds so i can give it a redo. should be fun.

ill make sure to do some studies of it right now of folds!
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @Brian "Panda" Choi i didn't realize that lol my bad, i thought it was like facebook gorups you have to post another update to recieve crits and etc... i am not very accustomed ot this site but i will abre that in mind next time! sorry for the spam!

also i keep the highest at a cap of 6 for the clothing.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @artofmars yeah... my thought process was working at a higher subdivision level would allow me to sculpt folds more naturally and easier but it is making things muddy and propbably mroe dificult, i will work lower to get forms,  and block out something, i probably need to research materials and folds more.

evenr eading burne hogarths book i feel like i missed out on some information. ill give it a proper redo and take time!
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @GeorgeCrudo yes he is suppose to have a disfigurement, here is a image of the character i am sculpting: http://comicmegastore.com/images/dc-misc/jonah-hex-comic-56.jpg

he is one of my favourite fdc characters and would eba great learning curve for me, if you would like a close up i don't mind doing it!

be cool ot have any oppinions on my face sculpting.

i forgot about trim dynamic, and the clothing is interesting, the jacket seems to be leathery whilst the main clothing is like civil war and etc.

its suppose to be a tight cloth

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/104794/2102819-2058744_jla6923.jpg

its kinda hard when doing fan art to choose the right material and etc... thats my main issue and reference isn't as simple as anatomy with orthographic, it requires some imagination to quote burne hogarth.

i struggle a lot with interpreting these folds and how to do them i did watch some tutorials and tried to do z folds and then wave around but it created ugly adn weird forms and i would mik it to deep.

• Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex

current update, working on a lower subdivision level and using real life reference fro the clothing now, love to hear what people think so far and what i might need to do, i am also looking at a uarsty tutorial to try looking into work flows, tools and techniques.

also i am now doing clothe drawings to help me out.
  • CrazyMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man keep it up! Just wanna give my 2 cents about your proportions. Not sure if you are going for some stylistic choice there, but the shoulders are too broad imo. Generally speaking man is two heads wide, in your case it looks almost like 3 at the shoulder level. Which again could be something you are going for, but it looks a bit off for me.  
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Get references. Many of them and compare them with your models : )
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I think your biggest hurdle, as mentioned above, is fabric work. Right now your fabric and especially the coat look like plasticine. 
    The coat doesn't drape naturally, it needs more weight. As other people mentioned, the folds currently feel random.
    Google coat references. Ie: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/eb/c3/b3/ebc3b3ea0fefb50493520606d537ae83.jpg

Similar issue with the pants where they tuck into the boots
    https://static01.nyt.com/images/2008/10/09/fashion/09points-600.jpg The one on the right might be a good example.

Keep it up! I think the rest looks fairly solid, it's just the cloth work that you need to tackle. 
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @CrazyMoon thanks pal! i am trying to go for more of a heroic look and impliment a little bit of a style hwoever if you think its off ill gladly adjust the shoulder proportions adn some othe rproportions here and there!
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @Marshkin thanks for the reference pal! i find  it really hard to use proper reference, i decided to follow mainly this reference

because it was the same kind of coat and material, i tried applying the same style of form plus aditional gravity or kinectic energy to certain places. pandas advice advice on working a lower subdivision really helped a lot and has amde me use trim dynamic a lot mroe as well but i feel like i can not still properly interpret forms of cloth and compression, thats probably my greatest weakness.

what i will do tonight isill use the rence you gave me and search up clothing of the same material and compile it up and try sculpting the natural folds or apterns i see onto my character, that way i have consistancy and flow instead of random lines or flow.

thanks for the help pal! ill try harder!
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @C86G got ya pal, ill make sure to use more reference! its just with clothing i really need to learn or teach myself how to interpret materials and compile them up properly so that i am not jsut randomly sculpting or copying what i see but actually sculpting natural flow and form.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sarsky
    You should draw over the reference to verify you're seeing what you're seeing.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @Brian
    i did do some clothing studies at one point as i mentioend in a message, i am really disorganized but this is the msot recent, i would try to seperate with different colours different folds. i did say i would be doing that for a while but i have been on holiday for a week and only got abck so i culd do studies properly now, i have been drawing people with clothing traditionally and digitally and tried to interpret the forms on clothing.

ill give tracing another go and fit ina  hour a day of tracing when i can!
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex

update on the jacket, i am currently playing about with the ajcket and using clay build up the sketch out planes and folds and then using h polish and orb crack brush to create the folds based on what iw as shown form a friend.

i stopped trying to voerthink abotu folds and trying to force folds and gravity onto the object and used different reference as a guid and tried sculpting in folds similar to what i saw on different reference.

its a buit scruffy but i am trying to build up on the details and forms after i get the shape worked out.

please let me knwo if i am doing it wrong, i really hope i am improving!
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkameen3 polycounter lvl 2
    I think it would help if you put a bend at the elbow, that would help you visualize where the folds go. also I would subdiv once more, you cant get enough resolution for the folds it looks like
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a jacket sleeve that's extended out all the way. it should NOT be scrunching up like that.

You're making this section of the sculpt more complex than it needs to be.  Really look at your reference, does the sleeve scrunch up like that?  It shouldn't, it should probably just be folds that wrap around the arm and any lingering frm bending at the elbow, or those that drape from the shoulder anchor point down.
  • Sarsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarsky vertex
    @Brian yeah i agree i notice that now, i tihnk what i could do is go a lwoer res smooth things out and then try simplifying the details and forms and try looking closer at my referenc ei just wanted to try out what i was shown to see how well it works with planes and folds.

i will go a bit more of a higher res and try doing simpler and bigger folds so i don't get too finicy with details and etc.

hopefulyl and whan i say this, i am making progress on my fold sculpting now.