Home Technical Talk

3D Coat - VoxTree / Object questions

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ariannwyn polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I have some basic questions that I can't find answers for regarding 3D Coat.

It seems that when I am in Sculpt mode, and I have several different objects all on different layers, there is no way to edit them all at once. For example, if I want to have two parts of an arm so that I can move them separately I need to put them on two different layers (I assume), but if I then want to use the brush along both parts of the arm I can't do that because they are on two different layers.

Am I missing something or is there a way around this? I just started 3D Coat (and sculpting in general) today so I know I probably missed a lot of stuff. 

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, I'm not an 3D coat expert and there are maybe better ways.
    But with "Quick Pick" you can select the object that is right underneath your mouse no matter in which layer you are.
    The default shortcut is 'h'. 
  • Ariannwyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! But you can't edit two layers at once, right? And if you put two objects in one layer they become one? I guess I am trying to figure out a way to have two separate objects that you can use the brush tool on at the same time, but the transform tool on separately.
  • Ariannwyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I accidentally got an extra sphere in the wrong layer, but now I don't know how to remove it without deleting the entire layer
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Hi there. 
    No there is no way to have multiple layers affected at the same time. 
    The closest thing would be having instanced layers, but that would require them all to be the same object just with different locations or scales. 
    Yes any objects on the same layer are basically "one" object. When using the voxel sculpting room each layer is a set of binary volumetric data, so there really can't be separate objects on a layer, just volumes of blank space and filled space.

As for the extra sphere, use any sculpting tool or object placement tool in subtraction mode (hold shift by default) and it will carve away from the volume.