Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Destiny Fusion Rifle (Factions)

Chridelisle
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Chridelisle vertex
Hi everyone.  Brand new to the forum.  I thought I would make an account and post something I've been working on for a month or so.  Any C&C would be appreciated.

Replies

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    cool man i love destiny fan art!
    what is this based on?
  • Chridelisle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chridelisle vertex
    Thank you! The model design came from some concept art on Google. Reminded me of a fusion rifle in Destiny. I went with the coloring of the vanguard for those pics. On my artstation page I have the other three factions.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    The shapes are promising, but you should look at more reference. Get a lot of Destiny screenshots and things like that. The major thing right now is that you've just essentially modeled the gun from the side and extruded it out. Guns aren't that boxy. They are tapered, and rounded. You hold them with your hands. Hands don't like to hold boxy things. Think about ergonomics. Look at lots of real guns. Then think about mechanics.How was the gun assembled. How does this weapon work. Does it use bullets, if so where does the magazine go, where do the shells eject from, how is the round chambered. Is there a safety. Even if it doesn't use traditional bullets most of those questions still apply, or something similar. Every piece should have a purpose, is it a handle is it a heat guard, stock, butt plate, cheek rest, barrel, sight? Then look at real world equivalents, and well designed fictional examples. This should really help it look more believable. Hope this helps.
  • Chridelisle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chridelisle vertex
    Thanks for the help. Didn't really think about a lot of that. Time to go back to the drawing board.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Chridelisle
    I recommend using an existing piece of concept art for the immediate future.  If this was self designed off of an existing Mass Effect 2 heavy weapon design, it needs a lot more care in the concept stage for it to look appealing.

• Chridelisle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chridelisle vertex
    Ok. Kinda new to all this, other than doing required school projects.  That is the weapon I used as a reference. What exactly do you mean it needs a lot more care in the concept stage to look appealing? Like the fact that the reference is pretty bare bones? I'm just curious. Im not much of a concept artist so I tend to just use ones I find. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ok, I guess if you're jumping from immediate concept art already, especially for this:

As people mentioned before, it feels like you just extruded a flat plane and called it a day for the gun, even with the separations.

You'll notice in the actual Mass Effect reference of the gun, the grip of the gun is much thinner than you have it.  That the bottom "rail" from the bottom of the grip to the butt has this second "case" on top of it.  You should notice that the metal is not clean, there's scuff marks, different patches of roughness (or specularity).  You should notice how thin the retractable "claw tips" are by the third segment.

A lot of your gun has missed these medium level forms and proportions, not details, that could have been dodged if you spent more time blocking in the gun with basic shapes and planes before committing to high poly edge loops, etc.  You texturing of the details is flat, compared to what I see in that image of the weapon in Mass Effect.  You have a super uniform roughness, which further contributes to it feeling more like a toy than a weapon.

For the next time, really spend time making sure your BIG forms and ideas are nailed, because by the time you get to texturing, those will be harder to fix than the amount of dirt you find in a corner of a panel.
  • Chridelisle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chridelisle vertex
    Ok. Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I found this site, I've just been kinda teaching myself things as I go along. The texturing I did was my first time using substance painter. I'll be sure and apply better techniques the next time. 
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, just wanted to chime in with my 2cents

So seeing as modeling part has been covered in great detail, ill focus on another thing and that is the materials.

Looking at the images i cant really tell the material rifle is suppose to be made of, only sharp highlights that indicate highly polished surface, now while that does look cool, its "just" marmoset engine doing its magic. What you should focus on here is matching the materials and wear of the surface like chipped paint on edges, dirt in crevices, burn marks around the barrel/heated parts etc..
    There are a lot of references online, simple google search for "destiny fusion rifle" turned out a ton of screenshots of original assets, but you don't need to stick blindly to cloning their style, generally the damages and wear on objects behave in same way.

Now another thing, went and looked at your portfolio and found revolver and grenade suffer from same issue as this rifle, something strikes me as odd with the way you do metals, they appear too dark, almost pitch black, either the environment is too dark or its in the material itself. Try looking at the substance premade metal materials and see how they are constructed, metals dont need to be 100% black.

I am aware that at this point you may very well assume that i'm just hacking away at your skills and portfolio but i assure you it is not the case, you have the skill, and just need to add that extra mileage so that your work really pops.
  • Chridelisle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chridelisle vertex
    Oh not at all. I'm all for the critiques. It's greatly appreciated. The college I got my game design degree from wasn't real in depth in texturing. Still learning substance painter and marmoset, I know they're both very powerful programs. I'll go back on those models and figure out the material issues.  I can only get better is to take the critiques to heart and practice practice practice. 
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I would definitely work on the shapes of the weapons more. It was mentioned above, but I feel like it needed said again. Guns aren't boxes. Bungie created some really great concept art for a lot of their weapons. Study the shapes. You might try blocking out ideas before going through the entire process of texturing. If it helps, imagine yourself holding the gun. Is it physically possible? If not you need to reconsider your design. Also, a lot of Bungie artists use Art Station, so you should look there as well. Here are some examples that might help out:

Hope this helps a little and good luck.
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Continuing with the materials aspect :)

What helped me figuring out the wears, scratches and damages was looking at the photos of machinery and just trying to pinpoint exactly what is what (sort of a CSI approach :D ) so for instance find an image of.. lets say pipe valve, and look at every scratch, discoloration, dent, dirt, grease... etc. and try to figure out what happened there, now i know that you cant really do this for every minute detail of the model but that's where substance comes in, because it propagates the detail within a masked area, and that CSI part is gonna help you figure out the area you need to apply wear/dirt, as well as type of damage.

Dunno if i'm gonna manage to be 100% accurate here, and if i made a mistake feel free to correct me, but something like this:

A - Damages done by tool used to attach/tighten the valve, the edge is jagged
    B - Discoloration in metal due to heating, get that rainbow blue-ish hue and some black burn marks because of dust/dirt burning if the surface was not cleaned prior to heat being applied.
    C - Looks like paint but could be solder as well, now take a look at how it reflects light. If its metal its usually gonna change the color of the light reflected (brass adds yellow, copper - orange etc..) Non metals like plastic reflect the color of the light without mixing it with their color (tell me if i'm not making sense here < English is not my first language) Back to the paint splatters ( lets call them paint ) looks like they were made by accident with some sort of a brush and then and attempt was made to wipe it away with something (cloth maybe) so smears are visible and paint stayed in places where metal was rough enough for it to stick to better.
    D - This is the part where hands would have most of contact with the valve, sweat/grease from hands mixed with dirt corroded the metal enough to have dirt stick onto it, plus if valve was stuck probably a tool was used to make it turn and that caused additional dents in metal in which dirt has collected.
    E - Sharp angle is very prone to denting and chipping because the material here is thin ( at the tip of the sharp angle ) and is very easily damaged by tools/exposure to elements.
    F - Damages at sharp angles, and dirt on "flat" surfaces, this could have happened during production, that seam in the middle of metal bit of the handle is telling you this part was made by casting the metal into mold, now, what happens during this process is there may have been some impurities in metal and or mold itself (molds are sometimes made from compressed sand) and because of that small dents may occur in final product without them being made by force/ damaged by hitting it etc. And generally these metal parts that were made by casting have rough finish and require additional brushing to reach glossy look (you can see the brush marks on valve with A and E arrows most prominent on hexagonal bit on the left)
    G - Example of metal being cast into mold with all the dents and surface unevenness with dirt being caught in crevices.
    H - Black spots caused by damages to the pipe with tools, again oxidation + dirt + dust + heat.

And finally about getting back to models and fixing them... that's a good idea, and its great if you can keep focus and not burn out from looking at the same model again and fixing things. You can also make a few smaller pieces just as a study, something that you don't need to focus as much on being super accurate with geometry but just take it in substance and really try to nail the materials. But this depends on your preferences, see what suits you best and do that.

Cheers and happy modeling :)