Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Bagwis (Assassin's Creed Fan Art)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Operus polycounter lvl 6
So I'm currently working on a fan art of the Assassin's Creed franchise. But instead of creating characters from the game I wanted to make my own by making a Filipino inspired assassin that is based around the time the Pre-Spanish to the colonization of the Spaniards in the Philippines. At the bottom, you will see my mood board.

I wanted my character to look like the Philippine eagle because during that time buildings and other infrastructures weren't made yet so it's pretty much surrounded by trees and other foliage. And since all of the assassins in the game look like this when they are on branches or high places. I think making the character look like an eagle will make him easily blend in with the environment. Another thing that I will put on the character is tattoos. because at that time when a man has a lot of tattoos they are feared because it means they have lots of experience at battles and it symbolizes courage and bravery.

Screenshot is from Assassin's Creed Revelations

Here is what the character "Bagwis" look like as of now:

I still have to add some accessories to the character but so far I'm pretty happy with how it look. The cloak thing on the back of the character is still tentative because I'm still thinking if I want it to be feathers or Anahaw leaves. But people said that I should stick with Anahaw leaves because using feathers will make it look like it's a Western Indian.

Here is a closer look of the face:

And here is the character without any of the clothing. 
By the way, I'm having some trouble with the anatomy of the face so maybe you guys can give me some tips to make the character's head look more believable.

Also I have already prepared textures for the hidden blade, sword, and the armor. But I'll probably fix it later on when I'm texturing the whole character so that the materials and the color of the textures will be cohesive.

Hidden Blade:

Sword:

Armor:

By the way feel free to give any comment, suggestion, critiques on the character because I will highly appreciate it.

Replies

• Leinadien
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    His head is very tiny, his arms are very long. This might help:
    http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_male.gif
  • Operus
    Offline / Send Message
    Operus polycounter lvl 6
    So I finally finished my fan art of the Assassin's Creed franchise. There are still a lot that I can fix like the hands, feet, face and some of the material definition but I decided to finish this already without sacrificing the visual quality of the model. Because it's better to have it finished than it to remain a WIP and drop the project sooner or later and having it finished will give me a base point where I can improve.

Leinandien: Although some of the proportions of the body are off I decided just to go with it because to me it felt good and when I tried to make the head bigger and lessen the length of the arm I just didn't like the look of it. Anyways thank you for the feedback.

So if you guys any suggestions and tips to improve this please feel free to do so and it will be highly appreciated.

I also made a version where he doesn't have his assassin gear.

• milla
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    That's rather gorgeous. My only criticism is the tattoos, which look like paint. Possibly an artifact of sharpness and saturation, and definitely of colour. I'd go for an authentic tattoo look myself, and soften both colour and line. Also, tattoo inks are generally not dark brown, even the natural ones used around the Asia-Pacific region. They tend to be blacks/greys that mature to a licorice green or navy blue, depending on what the ink is made of. Even a new tattoo from around that part of the world would probably not have red tones. Modern inks used for traditional markings are jet black or clean hueless greys and again, would only show red hues if freshly in.

I love the character design, but can't comment on authenticity at all, since I know nothing about the Philippines. Also can't comment technically, since I haven't moved a vertex in at least a dozen years. I'm digging the textures on the whole though :)