Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique my portfolio please

Mottoc
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Mottoc polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys!
I'm pretty new to this. I'm wanting to get into sculpting miniatures and figures. If anyone could critique my portfolio, I'd be very grateful. https://www.artstation.com/artist/Justincottom

Thanks!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hey Justin,

Welcome, Justin!

Your sci fi helmet came out strong.

Your Egyptian Iron Man, while some of the elements are working like the helmet, I feel like the design could have used concept art vetting before committing to the sculpt design we see here.

Your Chaos Psyker and Demon Hunter Bust are a solid start.  They do suffer from a lack of form definition with the muscles, bony landmarks, etc.  Things overall feel blobby and there are not places of definition.  Anatomy should not be all soft; it doesn't end up looking good.

Do you have any pieces that you've 3D printed?  I feel like that'd be a great indicator of how miniatureable your work is.
  • Mottoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mottoc polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Justin,

Welcome, Justin!

Your sci fi helmet came out strong.

Your Egyptian Iron Man, while some of the elements are working like the helmet, I feel like the design could have used concept art vetting before committing to the sculpt design we see here.

Your Chaos Psyker and Demon Hunter Bust are a solid start.  They do suffer from a lack of form definition with the muscles, bony landmarks, etc.  Things overall feel blobby and there are not places of definition.  Anatomy should not be all soft; it doesn't end up looking good.

Do you have any pieces that you've 3D printed?  I feel like that'd be a great indicator of how miniatureable your work is.
    Thanks! 
    I agree that the design for the Iron Man is lacking. That's what I get for not going off of any concept art and just doing it from my imagination :p 

I have been working on my anatomy. It's so hard to get right lol. I feel like I've been getting better at it and those two were good stepping stones to practice what I had learned at the time.

I don't have anything 3D printed, but hopefully soon I'll have something physical to look at.