Home General Discussion

Seeking to be taught under a 3D Art mentorship

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mazz8 polycounter lvl 4
Hey peeps,

I'm currently attending one of the AI schools and I've learned that they are doing a terrible job in preparing us for industry standards. Ever since learning that, I decided to take all my time and specialize in something I love so that I'm not doomed once I graduate. That something is digital sculpting.

I'd ship you my right hand(if you're into that kind of stuff) in order to learn how to be a more conscious 3D Artist. My favorite thing in the world is Zbrush but I'm eager to learn more deeply about the rest of the pipeline since it's the reality of the industry.

This is my artstation: https://lmazzei.artstation.com/

Thank you lots!

Replies

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Hey i want to say that i'm still learning and still need to learn a lot but i thinks i have some good tips for you

I was in the same spot as you a year ago our teachers don't know anything about the industry so i decided to say f*ck school. And just try to learn it on my self on the internet. And what i would say is you don't really need a 3d art mentor although it would be nice to have ofc. There are a lot of ways to learn things about the industry online my favorite one is listen to podcasts.

Here is my favorite one 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpcWwr2EcJjaR_a1zGOXPw/feed

As far as learning how to become better in 3d just download good tutorials or watch some free ones on youtube.

" My favorite thing in the world is Zbrush" I think a lot of people felt this way when they tried zBrush atleast for me it was haha. I'd recommend you to look into becoming aan character artist since there is a lot of zbrush involved in the pipeline most of the time. But don't get the wrong idea most of the work will be done outside of zbrush. 

Hope this helped a bit feel free to ask anything you would like and i will try to answer if i can.

• Mazz8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mazz8 polycounter lvl 4
    Sunray said:
    Hey i want to say that i'm still learning and still need to learn a lot but i thinks i have some good tips for you

I was in the same spot as you a year ago our teachers don't know anything about the industry so i decided to say f*ck school. And just try to learn it on my self on the internet. And what i would say is you don't really need a 3d art mentor although it would be nice to have ofc. There are a lot of ways to learn things about the industry online my favorite one is listen to podcasts.

Here is my favorite one https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpcWwr2EcJjaR_a1zGOXPw/feed

As far as learning how to become better in 3d just download good tutorials or watch some free ones on youtube.

" My favorite thing in the world is Zbrush" I think a lot of people felt this way when they tried zBrush atleast for me it was haha. I'd recommend you to look into becoming aan character artist since there is a lot of zbrush involved in the pipeline most of the time. But don't get the wrong idea most of the work will be done outside of zbrush. 

Hope this helped a bit feel free to ask anything you would like and i will try to answer if i can.

Thanks for the reply man!

Looks like we think alike because podcasts is how I found out about the industry's standards. I actually stumbled into the one you linked a few days ago and I love it.

Very sound advice. I'm familiar with traditional modeling, uvs, etc but it definitely doesn't give me the same ecstatic feeling as Zbrush lol. Do companies hire artists who specialize solely in sculpting?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You know what, I'd be down to do a mentorship.

Feel free to message me.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    In the meantime look at Polycount Recap, Artstation, especially the picks category, and tell yourself "ok now this is the level I need to reach, but what makes them cool ? what can I learn from this and incorporate in my stuff ?"
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Mazz8 said:
     Do companies hire artists who specialize solely in sculpting?
    Just go out there and look at job discriptions. In games? Nope. There are enough artist that can sculpt better than you and still do all the rest. Maybe in VFX/movies, but then level required there is even higher. For 3D print, tabletop games and such stuff ZBrush might be enough.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Mazz8 Not that i know of you wil also have to do the moore boring things you should take a look at jobs promoted on artstation and look at the skills and requirements for the jobs. And make sure you are going to learn those. The only thing that i can imagine where you would onlydo sculpting is maybe something like toy printing? but no idea. 
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mazz8 said:
    Very sound advice. I'm familiar with traditional modeling, uvs, etc but it definitely doesn't give me the same ecstatic feeling as Zbrush lol. Do companies hire artists who specialize solely in sculpting?
    Highly unlikely in games or film. The most specialized scope I can think of also needs modeling/UV skills. Being a toy/figurine sculptor is a good alternative if you only want to work in Zbrush.
  • Mazz8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mazz8 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for all the insight guys, seems like I need to learn the rest of the pipeline if I want to do games.

Being a toy sculptor sounds like something I could definitely get into aswell.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    when freelancing I have had work where I was only hired to sculpt, but thats usually just a couple of months, at a studio I would think that position is very rare.
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Kurt Papstein had a mentorship program in his gumroad, last time I checked, if I was you, I'd go there