Home General Discussion

May I ask some questions about game outsourcing?

supermali
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
supermali polycounter lvl 8

Hello everyone, I am a Chinese game artist, may I ask a question about game outsourcing. Nowadays, China has too many game outsourcing studios and companies, is Europe same as Chinese game outsourcing market? If you like please add my Skype, maybe we can share something too :)

Many thanks for your help

my Skype number:supermali2012

Replies

• Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I can tell, China does have too many game outsource studios...especially small, new ones. I think the new ones must have a hard time finding clients. It may not have too many big, established studios, however. Big AAA projects mainly want to hire big established outsource studios, and for a while the larger Chinese outsource studios had lots of work requests..probably too many to work on. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe the situation has changed.

I don't think Europe has nearly as much overcrowding of small, new outsource studios. At least, not as many as China has. I could be wrong, however.
  • supermali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to our community. Of course you can ask questions. That's what we're all here for, to share information :)

I am curious what you mean by "too many" outsourcing studios. What is wrong with them, and what would you prefer to see in China instead?

thanks mate :)

I mean that outsourcing providers are much more than outsourcing quantity demanded in Chinese market, and a lot of Chinese studios have closed down etc. Perhaps, these studios may be able to supply other countries?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "Nowadays, China has too many game outsourcing studios and companies"

How many do they have ?
  • supermali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I can tell, China does have too many game outsource studios...especially small, new ones. I think the new ones must have a hard time finding clients. It may not have too many big, established studios, however. Big AAA projects mainly want to hire big established outsource studios, and for a while the larger Chinese outsource studios had lots of work requests..probably too many to work on. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe the situation has changed.

I don't think Europe has nearly as much overcrowding of small, new outsource studios. At least, not as many as China has. I could be wrong, however.

Thanks for your reply. You are right, Chinese situation has changed, since a lot of game content providers were dead in last year,outsourcing market becomes terrible, many studios can't find client eventually closed down etc.

However, I am wondering does Chinese studios able to supply European outsourcing market? Perhaps, Chinese studio might be cheaper than other countries and maybe it is an advantage? anyway thanks a lot:)

• supermali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    "Nowadays, China has too many game outsourcing studios and companies"

How many do they have ?
    The Content Provider has about 27700 in last year, this year maybe has changed.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    what is The Content Provider?
  • supermali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix said:
    what is The Content Provider?
    I mean that game research and development company such as EA and CAPCOM
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The competition is intense for small outsourcers, which is to a degree cultural. It is easy in China to hire affordable and extremely talented artists, because the education system is quite good. These guys can create great assets as long as the scope allows them to work individually on them and just do bulk deliveries. In general such shops compete on price and speed foremost.

The problems start when the project scope increases. Teamwork can be a problem. Communication, especially with the client becomes more important. Project management becomes much more important. At such level quality control becomes much more important because assets now have higher dependency on each other, such as in a level. Technical proficiency with engines becomes more important. The more mistakes you make, the more time is wasted, the more chain-reaction dependency errors you get, which nullifies any advantage for the client.

The cultural problem is that contemporary China does not have a strong focus on quality, because until recently people could not afford it. They went for cheap instead. Non existent consumer laws also don't enforce a culture of quality in production. In general there is often no spirit of ownership and pride in one's work. Company loyalty (aka Japan's Bushido spirit) does not exist, so you can't really expect people to form Japanese style quality circles. Beside the above mentioned problems, this is a hurdle to overcome, especially since skipping QA is "cheap" because if you're lucky the client won't notice and you can offer a lower price in you quote to your client, which is a calculated risk but not necessary a sustainable business practice (this is also what I think as the reason for outsourcing's bad reputation). But the bigger the production the less you can get away with this.

The last problem small shops have is that clients don't want to give the important stuff due to fears of IP theft, which also limits the business they can get.

To overcome these problems these small shops need to seriously invest in management and in hiring employees with the right skills. But if you compete on price, you likely won't have the money to invest in these. That's a serious hurdle I just don't see many small shops taking. Instead they compete with each other on small contracts in a race to the bottom.