Home Contests & Challenges Archives Enlighten Contest

Final Submissions

Please use this thread to post your final submissions for the Enlighten Lighting Contest.

Submission Guidelines:

·        Include your name and a link to your portfolio (optional) in your submission post.

·        Your take on the scene in 3-6 high resolution images captured in Unity 5 (1920x1080 PNG image).

·        A description (short paragraph or colour scripts/mood boards) detailing what mood and atmosphere you were working towards in the supplied images.

Reminder, the contest ends on: August 9th at 11:59PM PST

Looking forward to seeing your entries!

Replies

• SkywayInteract
    "The Garden of Serenity"  by Bryan Meadows

The Courtyard's "Garden of Serenity" is now open year round from dawn till dusk to all visitors. Please feel free to enjoy the space, flowers and serene surroundings envisioned by founder Bryan Meadows. Be sure to visit the gift shop open daily 10am to 4pm.

The Garden of Serenity is nestled in a peaceful valley in the land of the local ancients. The garden aligns positive properties of the physical world in a sacred architectural arrangement based on the Geo-principals of beauty and solace. The symbol of the pyramid evokes the turning or awakening of the enlightened qualities of altruism and wisdom.

The purpose of the Garden is to bring about positive transformation within those who visit, in response to the negativity that abounds in the world today. Elegantly adorned with native trees and flowers from many continents, it is hoped that the Garden of Serenity will instill lasting impressions of peacefulness and compassion to all that visit year round.

We hope you have enjoyed your stay in our peaceful garden and we look forward to your returning in the future. Thank you and please come again. Don't forget all returning customers get 10% off in the gift shop!
  • NovaShade
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaShade polycounter lvl 3
    "Astro-genesis" By Corentin Clays

"At the end of the last day

There comes the light
    Don't be afraid of the doomsday
    Come and feel all its might"

Astro-genesis is a visual story about the mystical birth and life of a star, wihtin an astrological themed sanctuary.  The brightness of the star is flooding the whole ancient courtyard into a warm and healing light.
    </code></a><i><code>

• fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    "Lost in the cold" by Matthieu Ostertag
    6 images 1920x1080 in png format made with Unity 5.

Lost in the cold, the Courtyard is now facing a new hostile and beautiful environment. With the combination of mystery, calm and contemplation it plays with opposites such as warm and cold tones, light and darkness or hard and soft.

The journey starts in the depths of the structure where you can discover a place preserved from the intense cold. If you are brave enough to climb the stairs, you'll discover a peaceful and cold sunrise which smoothly illuminates the snow and the stone.
    As you walk around the heavy and solid structure around the Courtyard, the sun is now falling behind the snowy dunes but still flooding the landscape by its warm and golden light. As the twilight appears, only the artificial light can give a warm touch to this cold night.
    At the center of the Courtyard you'll discover the beating heart of the structure which gives its power and magic to the place.

• bent_vector
    Temples of Syrinx - A tribute to Rush - By Rob Targosz of Bent Vector Studios

The images in my submission are in tribute to Canadian progressive rock band, Rush and their great album, 2112. This album is about a mystical place, The Temples of Syrinx and one citizen who re-discovers the joy of music there but is rejected by the priests and the people before their civilization is destroyed by a better one.

General:
    I used the same basic setup for each level with some minor adjustments. I cleared out all of the props, lights and other elements in the original scene, leaving only the base level itself as my starting point.
    1. Player settings: forward rendering, linear color, DX11 renderer
    2. Lighting:
      - Various skyboxes from AllSky
      - Sun is directional light.
      - Some scenes use skybox for ambient, others use color.
      - Some scenes use skybox reflections, others use none.
      - No baked or pre-computed GI
      - Directional specular mode for general GI
      - NO static objects at all.
    3. Camera clears to Skybox in most cases, HDR, forward rendering path
    4. Camera image components (in order):
      - Tonemapping (optimized Heji Dawson)
      - Lens Aberrations distortion and/or vignette
      - Bloom, HQ, complex, combined flares
      - Depth of Field - focus on a key scene element
      - Ambient Occlusion
      - Antialising (FXAA3 Console)
    5. Switched all materials to Standard shader rather than the half-lambert of the original.

01 - Discovery. In this scene, the citizen discovers a musical instrument hidden away beneath the temple. The viewer's eye should be immediately drawn to the spotlight in the center of the image: the mystical musical device.
    There is almost no direct light in this scene, only 2 spotlights, 1 point light and some reflected light. Shadow casting was heavily tweaked to get the desired appearance on both sets of stairs. There is a small gap under the far stairs and against the wall there as well, so I had to tweak the lighting directionality and move the shadow near bias to 0 to prevent seeing this. In the final stage, I added light shafts and dust effects to improve the ancient, underground effect.

02 - Presentation. The citizen tries to present the new-found treasure to the priests and populace but is rudely and cruelly rejected. We see the citizen standing here contemplating the instrument all alone, shadow stretched out behind. The viewer's eye should be drawn to the dark area of the citizen and shadow. This scene is much brighter than the previous and relies heavily on direct lighting, reflected light and the skybox. Shadow bias was tweaked to make them drag out further and fuzzier behind the citizen.

03 - Oracle. After being rejected, the citizen has a dream in which an Oracle appears and shows the future. Several spotlights and a single point light were added to this scene in addition to a simple particle effect that simulates the dream/oracle. Once again, the viewer's eye should be drawn to the center of the image where cascading particles simulate a dream/oracle.

04 - Soliloquy. The citizen wakens in the night and contemplates the dream until sunrise (through a sand storm) and considers jumping from the top of the temple stairs. Cube-mapped point light cookies were created to give the effect of a grilled, fluorescent light to each of the wall lights. There is no single focal point in this scene, but the contrast of the warm light of the rising sun and cold light of the fluorescent bulbs provides a range of interesting shadows and reflections that illuminate nearly every visible area in the scene. The material textures were all increased to 4k and the detail textures were tweaked slightly to give the nice lighting effect on the sides of the stairs and walls.

05 - Temple. This scene depicts how society has fallen after losing their art and culture, taking to human sacrifice to appease their Red God. The scene is lit by red light from the sky box and direct, yellow light from the moon. The center water feature was changed to night mode and purely reflective. Each brazier contains a standard "advanced fire" particle set (with reduced smoke levels) and a single light, each of which was tweaked to appear slightly different. The inner courtyard ring was modified to make it look a bit wet since it borders the water. The hardest part of this scene was getting the ambient and direct lighting levels correct so it appears mostly realistic while being able to see the entire scene.

06 - Finale. During the sacrifice, the Temple of Syrinx is attacked and the priests are killed. The invaders have vastly advanced technologies: warp portals and space ships with deadly weapons. A blueish spotlight was added over the two characters to highlight them in this very dark scene, drawing the viewers eye to them.

07 - Color Script

08 - Mood Board

Thanks for having this fun and challenging event!
    Rob Targosz
    Bent Vector Studios, Inc.

• XavLar
    Offline / Send Message
    XavLar null
    (I'm not really a story teller)
    "A mysterious pyramid sits in the center of the courtyard, it's origin is unknown. The pyramid emits a strange blue light, illuminating the scene."
    The general tone of this piece is mystery, The colour blue was used to give off a cold, non human feel to the scene, however it draws attention towards the source (the pyramid). Orange was used to contrast and bring warmth to the scene, this achieves the feeling of "safety". The orange lights were placed adjacent to the exits to make the viewer feel at ease. 

Please contact me for the true 1920x1080 images, as I cannot upload that version to this site (not sure why it wont accept them).
    Had to submit this as my final product as I did not have as much time as hoped.
  • J
    Offline / Send Message
    J null
    "Cold Morning"  by Jérôme Bonamy

Background :

With this theme I took party to oppose desert to the cold and snow.
    Sand and snow rarely meet each other, the contrast is done naturally .
    The structure is almost left has abandoned, the cold took hold of the stone once bathed in the hot sun of the desert.
    Only the depths of the building still allow some survivor of the sudden blizzard to refuge .
    The morning sun bring warm tone in the scene and give hope to the people who are trapped in deep but the wind is still cold and you can't go out.

Technic :

Befor i start lighting my scene a remove all of the existing source of light ( time of day system, emissive ... ).
    I wanted to start from nothing exept the geometry.

I choose my point of view and place my sun to have nice shadow in my pictures.
    Sun has to be very low in the horizon cause it's the morning.
    I choose a orange/redish tone for it to balance with the global blue color of the scene.

I add vertex painting on the sand and the stone to add snow and i place little snow hill where the wing can blow it in.
    I did some particles system for the wind, the snowflakes and the vapor coming from the water in the center of the structure.

I tweak materials a bit to addd more reflectivity in them, as it was damp.

Inspiration :

I was i bit inspirated by some great panorama in the movie " The revenant " but after that i'v juste use imagination the see what i can do for the theme.

Picture 01 :

We start outside of the structure, snow is falling, wind spread the " snow hill ". Sun is rising, maybe at last  snow will melt ?

Picture 02 :

Here is the center of the building. Big stone and high wall keep a bit more warm inside.

Picture 03 :

The downstair, someone find refuge here in until the snow stop falling.

Thanks for reading and seeing this, goodbye !
    ( Sorry for my English )
  • lix42
    Offline / Send Message
    lix42 null

Imaginations of the Courtyard

In this project i want to show the courtyard in three different imaginations or let's just say three different points of view
    1. The Lively imagination
    2. The Futuristic imagination
    3. The Dark imagination 

DISCLAIMER:All screenshots have been taken straight out of the unity 5 editor and haven't been retouched using any kind of 
    graphics editor.

Assets that i used to achieve my vision

SSAA(Super Sampling) : An outstanding asset that can be used for game developing or cinematic purposes
    (it can also take Hi-Rez screenshots)

Lutify : Lutify is an extensive collection of high-quality cinematic, vintage and retro LUTs. One of the most useful asset's that can be found on the asset store, it does one thing and it does it right; it adds life to a scene.
    A must-have in my oppinion 

SSAO PRO : So i didn't really need this since the project already had an ambient occlusion post-processing effect but since i bought a long time ago i used this instead of the default one

The Lively imagination

So for this one i din't want to have really warm colours nor extremely cold ones obviously so i mixed them
    put some crazy AO to make it look less realistic(more like a dream)reduced filming vignette since this has
    to be bright but at the same time believable and pretty.The colour of the inner circle is bright
    blue including the lights that i placed to make it brighter, Blue as i mentioned earlier isn's extremely dark
    since this has to be a really bright scene and i also changed the tonemapping using the user curve.
    Finally the colour of the directional light hasn't been changed but
    the bounce intensity has.Oh and i used an LUT that adds this pink theme to the scene
    Enjoy!

The Futuristic Imagination

Now that's what i call dark and futuristic! Blue spot lights have been added on the top of the courtyard pyramid and the colour of the lights in the inner circle are intense dark blue with hight bounce intensity in order to brighten the dark corners a bit. This time i used a darker LUT for obvious reasons and increased the amount of ambient occlusion to achieve more darkness.
    Again Enjoy!

The Dark Imagination

Finally the Dark Imagination. Here most of the lights are removed and the once that remain have reduced bounce intensity and they are not blue sadly. The courtyard pyramid is no longer shining since this makes the scene even more depressing. Ambient occlusion has been increased 
    just like filming vignette and again i changed the tonemapping using the user curve so i can't explain what i did there except from the fact that now the scene is darker. Finally i chaned the previous LUT to something that doesn't have a lot of contrast

It seems that the letters have been messed up and i don't know how to fix it, sorry

• Sehee
    Offline / Send Message
    Sehee vertex
    Hi everyone, my name is Sergio Penalba.
    I wanted to give the scene a scifi ambient. I was inspired a little (or maybe a lot) in the Tron movie for the textures.

"The courtyard represents what seems like a computer whose purpose has been lost in time. Is still working, but who even knows what it does".

• tdlacct
    Offline / Send Message
    tdlacct null
    Tanner Luce
    These are three lighting setups I created using the Courtyard scene. With each lighting design, the courtyard transforms into a completely different concept both visually and emotionally. 

Ancient Temple
    Someone in a remote part of the world, there exists a temple that has been untouched for thousands of years. The mysterious temple has an almost haunting presence in this remote area, with torches surrounding the center area that continue to burn as if they're trying to lure somebody out of the jungle fog and into the temple.  

One woman has courageously volunteered to uncover the temple, and her moment of discovery has been captured as she stands in awe in the center of it. In the center of the temple the sun bounces off of the polished stone and illuminates a large pyramid. The pyramid gives off a strange unworldly glow, but it's purpose is unknown to the naive explorer. 

Rather then a colorful temple that's been overrun with greenery, the concept is an abandoned but well preserved temple. To create the ominous mood, the ambient lighting was toned down and a larger emphasis was placed on setting torches around the scene to illuminate it. The colors are desaturated with a greater emphasis on green for the exterior and orange for the interior and pathways. Fog was also used to create a moody exterior to the temple that contrasts with the well lit interior. The lighting is set up to display the explorer in a darker silhouette rather then in full lighting so that the primary focus is on her discovery. 

Disco-era Science Fiction
    A strange alien craft has landed during a quiet night. At first the craft was silent and dark, but within a few moments there was a loud humming noise and the ship lit up in vibrant shades of blue and red. When people ventured inside the ship, they found a colorful pool of water with a strange neon liquid flowing in it. In the center of the pool was a strange orb atop a glowing pyramid. 

The orb suddenly shot a bright laser beam into the sky that could be seen for miles. The atmosphere circles around the beam as the unknown aliens began their mysterious project on planet Earth. 

The scene uses high levels of bloom and saturation to make the colors and lighting pop with a retro style. The lights are positioned in a way that creates a path towards the center beam. Even though Unity does not have built in support for volumetric lighting, the beam shooting out of the pyramid uses the general concept behind it (Light hitting off of various particles in the air) by illuminating a condensed particle system with a narrow spotlight. The stone-like materials were also retextured and modified to have a sleeker and shiner appearance, and many materials used emissive lighting to give the scene a late-70s / early-80s neon glow. 

1950s B-Movie Film Set
    The local science fiction channel seems to be airing another cheesy 50s alien invasion film on it's late night programming. Because of the poor film quality not much detail can be seen, but the mysterious image of an alien saucer glows on the TV set with an ominous threat to mankind. One thing is for sure, the channel won't be changed during this exciting 1950s adventure! 

This image is entirely achieved in real time using effects such as lens distortions, desaturated color, noise and grain, and a scanline overlay. Many low budget science fiction films have poor lighting that obscures some of the details in the picture, so the lighting was adjusted to reflect that and give the alien saucer an almost silhouette-like appearance. 
  • marsh
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Hi Polycount comunity, this is
    " No man's journey " by Víctor Ochoa ( I don't really have a portfolio )

Left behind some of my works for the contest,
    here are my entries:

In this shot the center pyramid emanates light and relaxing vibes, but the camera angle and FOV shows how near and yet so far you are from being there, the place you want to be. The image is completely composed by a palette of blues and browns, that make the intense red petals stand out even more as a representaion of the passion you breath.
    Eventually, you will reach that place.
    Eventually, I will.
    I hope.

With the shot above I wanted to do somethng more with the Courtyard, I wanted to transform it ; without props, just the power of color.
    So instead of using any of the interiors I used this top view ; using a grayscale palette with again the intrusion of an intense red to make the Courtyard become not a building, but a symbol.

This is a very similar shot as the last one, but my try here was to give the Courtyard a toon look.
    A colorful yet dark color palette contrasted by intense blacks,
    just like out a comic.

Now this is bright indoors shot.
    Colorful and yet sad, still and empty, lost and frozen in time.
    I don't really like to use props in these images, but I think the white chairs work really well here,
    it looks like a meeting place no one will ever use again.

And here is the same place long time after, when no one rembermers it.
    Lights are still on, a ray of hope illuminates the scene,
    but the truth is, those who lived here has left it behind,
    and eventually it will no longer exist.

If there's something I do love, it's cyberpunk.

This is just a personal try to make the Courtyard look very cyber without any props.
    There is no ambient / sun light, the scene is lit by artificial light sources and neon signs.
    When people sleep, the city awakes.

That was my submission fot the contest,
    have a good day you all!
  • samsantillo
    "Delta Enclosure" by Sam Santillo 

With the extended time, it allowed me to get another pass of lighting and polishing in the level. Originally, I had planned for a more desaturated, darker look; however, in the end it felt flat. I also wanted to show a change in styles and focus on the center pyramid which is why I am calling this submission "Delta Enclosure" in reference to the Greek symbol. 

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/samsantillo
  • ahmedmohi
    "The untold stories" by Ahmed Mohi

Hi, well i kinda went in a different direction that each image actually represents completely different mood or target and as i'm mainly level designer i used all assets and textures as it's but tried to go wild with different views and takes so i will be describing each image individually, so without further ado let's start.

This was the first shot that came to my mind while studying the country yard and watching the video , i wanted an alien feeling to it and i was affected by a movie called 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind' and to be honest i don't fully like that i made just dark around the pyramid but i was mainly aiming for some kind of void gate.

The project i was working on involved alot of desert and while looking for many references i admired how night desert gives me the feel wonderness and calmness and that's what i was targeting using the warm blue and orange and having a warm light at the end to act as guidance to the traveler through the corridor . I added a lighting on the floor to try and fill the scene and give it more life.

All the other shots were at night so it was abit of challenge for me to take on a shot in day light and still look nice and different so i pick the blacksmith atmospheric scattering with some nice day light. and from a view point of traveler that just found this giant place in a middle of desert.

For this one i was inspired by the winner of evermotion challenge 2015 i believe it was making a loft scene and what he make is a very unique steampunk loft so i decided to make something that's completely different too with just the probs of the project and that's what i came up with , a ghost pouring a glowing wired liquid  in a cafe cup xD , well to try and make this shot looks more interesting i added alight source near the box on top  to give a little shinning on the edge , also  lights near the cable reel.

I still wanted to explore a little more and try to come up with new take , and i was looking into some fantasy references were it came to me that i can use a northern light i created before and with some alien mode to try and make a shot that tells how beautiful the world outside and same time how disturbing/different it might be inside

• Seenax
    Offline / Send Message
    Seenax polycounter lvl 8
    The Tomb of An Angel - by Gabriel Coriiu
    portfolio  | WIP thread

My entry wants to reflect a serene atmosphere inspired by the Japanese culture (blossomed cherry trees and greenery). On top of that I added an imperial touch through flags, red carpets and torch lights. In terms of concept I wanted to create an atmosphere that feels alive, which creates a very nice contrast with the tomb. To achieve the desired atmosphere I added animated caustics, flags blown by the wind, animated fire and flying petals. 

From the beginning I wanted to create a lightning setup that looks good both in daylight and night time. This is why some of the images were captured from the same camera angle.

The main colors I used are orange and blue, as these two contrasting colors work very well together. The orange tones are given by the indirect light of the carpets, trees, flags and torch lights; whereas the blue tones are given by the sky, neon lights and marble.

• scottyknapp19

Golden Hour - by Scott Knapp

Portfolio:

http://www.scottknapp.com/

WIP Thread:

http://polycount.com/discussion/173765/wip-enlighten-contest-golden-hour-by-scott-knapp#latest

I wanted my scene to be very calming and serene, so I chose to use a sunset lighting condition.  I went through a lot of iteration just trying to lock down what kind of sky I wanted.  I spent much of my time adjusting my sky and sun color first as a base, and then started accenting areas with artificial lights.  Here is a mood board I put together as a loose visual target for hue, light/dark ratio, sun angle, contrast, and sky:

I looked at Alex Roman's "The Third & The Seventh" for inspiration for composition.  Here are some shots from his short that I referenced when blocking out my layout:

And here are my final renders:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Laura Sajdik
    WIP thread: http://polycount.com/discussion/173102/wip-enlighten-contest-space-sci-fi/p1?new=1

The first three images were originally inspired by Dead Space - dark and creepy - but the more I worked through the colour schemes, going from cool blues and purples to orange and red, my idea for the scene became something more like Omega from Mass Effect. This would be an industrial mining facility, dark and empty during the evenings, a sweltering heat during the day, with a fiery core at the heart of this factory.

The last three shots were experiments inspired by real world photos, mostly of abandoned buildings where there's a strong contrast between light and shadow. The greeny-yellow colours came from an idea of aliens or the unknown. The pink morning is somewhat calm and peaceful, and the desert view was inspired by a photoshop filter. I enjoyed these ones the most, being able to experiment and turn out some interesting results.

Final images:

• frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Clean Architecture by Eldon R. Tyrell

Decided to join in just for fun, even though I didn't have time to polish it as I wanted.

My inspiration was mostly Therme Vals hotel as seen on these images, simple forms and materials, ambient lighting and a rather cold atmosphere.
    Less is more!

//

• EminentSun
    Offline / Send Message
    EminentSun polycounter lvl 5
    Yes I know its 12:04 and I know my images suck, I did them in six hours today. Due to a frustrating number of display driver crashes (AMD life), file corruptions,  and my first few Idea's being almost as bad as this one turned out I found myself starting a completely new project this morning. I am not ... "proud" of my work, however I have learned from prior experience that it hurts less to present something awful then it does to know I never finished. Since I have no hope of winning (nor did I before starting in hindsight) I won't bother explaining the theme/emotion of the images, there are two WIP threads with that info.

This is the only image I truly like, I completed it about 3pm before leaving for a nearly forgotten doctors appointment. Ironically this is the image I did the least to, all that is really changed other than some bloom/vignette is the HDR lighting that was already there is more red.
     My second image is the worst of the three, it looked great before I did the lighting.(included that picture below, sorry windows captures everything on a dual monitor display) As I was keeping with the desert theme I decided to add a rock garden, which really didn't work any better than the water.

My third image was incredibly rushed, I was still working seriously until 11:50 when I realized it was too late. if you can't tell (I only can because I know what it is supposed to be) it's intended to be a shot like someone looking out a window with a little bit of light reflecting on the right side. Unfortunately I had no time to work on staging this one.

Unfortunately for every problem beyond my control, just as many originated from me. I won't go into to much detail, but suffice it to say I bit off more than I can chew going from a hobbyist environment where deadlines can be pushed back indefinably, to working on a momentous project with a tool I haven't used in two years. So congratulations to everyone else, your are obviously much better at what you do than I am.

Looks like I'll be buying that 980 with my own money now.
  • marsh
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Dude @EminentSun it's ok, these things happen, when time is over, you can rest knowing you did it into the contest. Many may haven't even try. At the end of the day maybe you don't win that 980, but you didn't lose anything either, so don't be so blue and instead look forward to any other similiar contest. Pretty sure there will be. I know this is a submission thread :P but damn, don't be so hard on yourself have a good day you all ( it's like 7am here )
  • PauloPatez
    Pursuit by Paulo Patez
    For this scene, I wanted to take a FPS aproach and test dynamic flashlights with realtime global illumination.
    The composition plays with complementary warm and cold color harmonies to create a contrast between peacefulness and fear.
    Volumetric lights shader by Robert Cupisz.

Wake Up

Hide

Dead End

Fall

• Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Eric Kimberly
    Portfolio | WIP Thread

I initially looked at science fiction films for inspiration and decided to work with designing a clean futuristic atmosphere to fit the courtyard scene. I knew I wanted to add paneling lines that complimented the forms and strong colored light sources to vary a neutral base color.   

[some of my early reference]

A primary goal starting out was to redefine the surface material, which largely informs how light will react when it hits the 3d surface. I decided to go in the direction of a more glossy material with a subtle roughness map to break up the reflection.

I also composed a trim texture with a normal map and applied it throughout the scene, by exporting the models, adjusting the uvs, and re-importing them into the scene.  

The only custom normal is the pyramid in the middle which I modeled over and baked down the information to the original mesh.  

• AlexMercer

Post on behalf of @Wiktor

"A Peculiar Discovery" and "The Reveal" by Wiktor Wąsowski

A Peculiar Discovery

My first scene portrays a structure that was built on a dig site after an unusual object of unknown origin has been uncovered. The artifact appeared to be too heavy to be taken out of the desert so it got surrounded by modern architecture to form a museum instead.

I chose nighttime because It helped me achieve mysterious and dark atmosphere. Another reason is that I simply didn’t want the daylight ambience to interfere with my composition.

For the colors, I wanted to end up with something purplish, because I had a feeling it can help me get a little bit of sci-fi flavor into the scene. I decided to use blue as a dominant color and I paired it with red for contrast. However, as a result I felt I somewhat lost the coldness I aimed for so I decided to shift the red lights a little bit towards pink. This gave me the colors I needed for this scene.

I didn’t really use anything as inspirations and references, because I preferred to reach my goal through experimentation. However, my color choice was influenced by Temple of Athame from Mass Effect 3 because this was the first thing that came to my mind when I envisioned a dark and mysterious science fiction museum.

The Reveal

The second part of my entry depicts a building designed by talented engineers, mathematicians and astronomers in ancient times. Lying in a remote location, the structure only reveals its secrets once a year on a specific day and time. Nobody has succeeded in fully deciphering the information yet, but interestingly, it seems to relate to Stonehenge and the pyramids of Giza.

In this case I planned to create a great contrast between light and dark. I decided to use a very limited amount of lights but make them strong and really standing out. I really wanted to make good use of geometrical forms and shapes the Courtyard is composed of because I felt it will help me reinforce my astronomical theme. I focused on finding the correct places to pass the light through and quickly realized which one is going to work best.

For the mood I wanted to keep the palette toned and rather realistic for an ancient sandstone structure raised on a desert. I stayed with orange (kind of) as the dominant color but decided to kick in some subtle, cold blue and purple wherever I can to counter our nature to perceive orange as hot. I wanted to create a feeling that the stones that are the foundation of this building are cold and have been like this for millennia. They belong to a lost and long forgotten civilization.

Wiktor Wąsowski - 3D Artist and aspiring Indie Game Developer

ArtStation
    Twitter
  • AlexMercer
    Entries are now closed, thank you all for your submissions.
    Our judges will go through them over the next 14 days to pick out the winners.

Stay Tuned!
  • jessnado
    Offline / Send Message
    jessnado polycounter lvl 2
    "Chromatic Dreams" by Jessica Sweeney
    WIP Thread | Inspiration board

For this challenge I wanted to enhance the clean architecture and make it interesting through lights and color. Colors invoke different emotions and thoughts between each individual. I wanted to know what impact it would have when mixing contrasting colors through soft lighting against the angular architecture. Personally, it was rather dreamlike and surreal hence the title "Chromatic Dreams". This was a great first look into Unity's lighting system and I enjoyed the past few days thoroughly. Good luck to all!

• WiktorWasowski
    Offline / Send Message
    WiktorWasowski polycounter lvl 3

"A Peculiar Discovery" and "The Reveal" by Wiktor Wąsowski

A Peculiar Discovery

My first scene portrays a structure that was built on a dig site after an unusual object of unknown origin has been uncovered. The artifact appeared to be too heavy to be taken out of the desert so it got surrounded by modern architecture to form a museum instead.

I chose nighttime because It helped me achieve mysterious and dark atmosphere. Another reason is that I simply didn’t want the daylight ambience to interfere with my composition.

For the colors, I wanted to end up with something purplish, because I had a feeling it can help me get a little bit of sci-fi flavor into the scene. I decided to use blue as a dominant color and I paired it with red for contrast. However, as a result I felt I somewhat lost the coldness I aimed for so I decided to shift the red lights a little bit towards pink. This gave me the colors I needed for this scene.

I didn’t really use anything as inspirations and references, because I preferred to reach my goal through experimentation. However, my color choice was influenced by Temple of Athame from Mass Effect 3 because this was the first thing that came to my mind when I envisioned a dark and mysterious science fiction museum.

The Reveal

The second part of my entry depicts a building designed by talented engineers, mathematicians and astronomers in ancient times. Lying in a remote location, the structure only reveals its secrets once a year on a specific day and time. Nobody has succeeded in fully deciphering the information yet, but interestingly, it seems to relate to Stonehenge and the pyramids of Giza.

In this case I planned to create a great contrast between light and dark. I decided to use a very limited amount of lights but make them strong and really standing out. I really wanted to make good use of geometrical forms and shapes the Courtyard is composed of because I felt it will help me reinforce my astronomical theme. I focused on finding the correct places to pass the light through and quickly realized which one is going to work best.

For the mood I wanted to keep the palette toned and rather realistic for an ancient sandstone structure raised on a desert. I stayed with orange (kind of) as the dominant color but decided to kick in some subtle, cold blue and purple wherever I can to counter our nature to perceive orange as hot. I wanted to create a feeling that the stones that are the foundation of this building are cold and have been like this for millennia. They belong to a lost and long forgotten civilization.