Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arenanet Art Test NEED FEEDBACK

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Lycanchief polycounter lvl 7
Hi There Im new to this site but I was recommended here for awesome feedback.

So yea here is the grey box model so far any feed back would be useful

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It's kinda hard to see here. But a few things I will point out to you; from my own fail attempts at this. (3 attempts so far)

See if you can UV mirror the armors. Not just the left shoulder pads and right shoulder pads. But the front half and back half of it too. See if you can do the same thing with her hip armor pieces, or the things around her shins.

It's the texture that is going to make or break the piece. Be generous with the UV mapping.

BTW, where/s your sculpt ?

Here, you can learn from my latest mistake here - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZReom
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I noticed you have the high poly on your website, I have some critiques for your high and low :)

With the high poly the shapes are all very soft and blobby, the piece looks rushed overall. Don't hesitate to slow down and go down to a lower subdivision to  get the larger form correct before you go into the details. Everything also doesn't need to be 100% Zbrush, some pieces like the armor pieces are better done in Max or Maya where you have more precise control over the forms and can get clean edges. Although the test says that it is mostly focused on the armor, getting the body underneath and the face well done is still super important. The body anatomy will be the base for everything, and even if the face is slightly covered, humans are naturally drawn to it, a face that doesn't look quite right can be very distracting.

I got a little more intensive with your low poly. I'm not entirely sure where most of your budget went since overall the tricount looks very low, though it looks like some of the armor plates are extruded with thickness which will greatly add to the tricount. Really try to focus on making your work and clean and consistent, as it is a huge staple to making great game models.

Best of luck! Keep at it! :)

• Lycanchief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lycanchief polycounter lvl 7
    Alemja said:
    I noticed you have the high poly on your website, I have some critiques for your high and low :)

With the high poly the shapes are all very soft and blobby, the piece looks rushed overall. Don't hesitate to slow down and go down to a lower subdivision to  get the larger form correct before you go into the details. Everything also doesn't need to be 100% Zbrush, some pieces like the armor pieces are better done in Max or Maya where you have more precise control over the forms and can get clean edges. Although the test says that it is mostly focused on the armor, getting the body underneath and the face well done is still super important. The body anatomy will be the base for everything, and even if the face is slightly covered, humans are naturally drawn to it, a face that doesn't look quite right can be very distracting.

I got a little more intensive with your low poly. I'm not entirely sure where most of your budget went since overall the tricount looks very low, though it looks like some of the armor plates are extruded with thickness which will greatly add to the tricount. Really try to focus on making your work and clean and consistent, as it is a huge staple to making great game models.

Best of luck! Keep at it! :)

You sneaky person =^w^= I haddent planned on getting feedback for my high res yet because after talking with a recruiter for arenanet that actully visited my school he recommended that i come here for feed back and we agreed after a long while that I should go back and revisit my grey box.

But regard less that's very nice feedback my poly budget for my low is very evenly spread out with a small extra love given to the helmet. However I plan now to go back to the basic body and touch that up now that you confirmed my concern for the proportions.

Also with the armor do you have any recomendations for the arm pieces I can't for the life of me figure out how they are supposed to be accuratly put together and it's driving me nuts!

Regardless thanks for the feedback I'll keep working =^w^=