Home General Discussion

Sound Designers - The Unsung Heroes?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
It's just a thought that came across me when I was watching the Battlefield 1 trailer (which looks dope). The sounds of the vehicles, the guns, the explosions, they all gave me as much chills as the visuals. As a 3D artist I should be focused on the visuals mainly, but the more I thought about it the more the more I had a greater appreciation for good sound design and the more I noticed it. Some of my favorite movies, anime, and video games all had great sound design, but I never noticed it. Just a thought I had so I was wondering what everyone else thought. Agree, Disagree?

Replies

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    I think sound design is like UI design. If it's done well then nobody will even notice it. If it's done badly then everybody will mention how bad it is.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Dice are extremely good at it when it comes to making immersive sound. 

'' If it's done well then nobody will even notice it''

I doubt that. I watched a  Mirros Edge Catalyst video recently and was actually amazed by the intricate, precise and superb quality of the sound. Foot stomping, sliding, hearing Faith breath. everything just feels so good to hear, so vibrant...
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I agree. People tend to focus on visuals more than sound, and when it comes to sound, focus more on music than sound fx/foley. Yet, kickass foley sound is definitely kickass, and can make a big impact.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Blond said:
    I doubt that. I watched a  Mirros Edge Catalyst video recently and was actually amazed by the intricate, precise and superb quality of the sound. Foot stomping, sliding, hearing Faith breath. everything just feels so good to hear, so vibrant...

What I meant is that the average casual gamer that just wants to have some fun for a couple hours will not notice how perfect the sound is. He will just notice it if it is horrible.

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Unsung heroes the sound guys???

Nah...it's the tech artists dude.  Followed by the sys admin/hardware installer & upgrade guys/gals.

Even the sound guys work are in the frontlines in terms of player experience.  Nobody will deep check the end credits lists for the tech artists and sys admin crew (except maybe, headhunters).
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
    Unsung heroes the sound guys???

Nah...it's the tech artists dude.  Followed by the sys admin/hardware installer & upgrade guys/gals.

Even the sound guys work are in the frontlines in terms of player experience.  Nobody will deep check the end credits lists for the tech artists and sys admin crew (except maybe, headhunters).
    You do raise a good point. It terms of what's shown in front of you, you don't really give a lot of thought to the tech guys.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I voted on a game on Steam Greenlight a few days ago primarily because I liked the sound work: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=714536761
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah man, sound designers, as Dustin above mentioned, they tend to ear really well, but for the casual gamer, they don't pay attention to it. If it works, they won't notice. But in reality, that goes for many disciplines in my opinion. Shader programmers, engine programmers (!), technical artists, riggers (or technical animators) sometimes even designers, they tend to be unnoticed. But to be quite honest, if you watch a movie, you hardly pay attention to the make-up artists or boom operators. It's all about what your interests are, if you know about it and like it, you pay attention to it! :)