Home Technical Talk

How to approach texturing this?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
RossHildick3D polycounter lvl 3
Hello :)

I have done some looking around on the wiki here and various (tons) of youtube videos and everything seems so be very specific to the task at hand and Im struggling to find a concrete answer of what is the best practice for texturing modular buildings.

- So I'll use an example:
lets say I was going to model the following building in a modular workflow so I can make other varied buildings from the result.v

Front + right sides:

Left Side:

I'm new to modular workflows and it is my understanding that there are two ways I can approach texturing:
1. Create a texture atlas with all the things I need on it and uv my model accordingly
2. Apply a different seamless material to each according section of the model

So my real question is - in either of these two methods, how would you texture unique areas like graffiti or damage thats is only appearing on a small section of one wall, for example?

I mean, I know how this CAN be done; I suppose what I am is asking is what is normally done? I am currently building a portfolio I hope to then apply to games companies with so I want to make sure my workflow for future pieces is standard for what is done for games engines.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice on this or point my in the direction of a tutorial that has helped them on this subject... At a bit of a loss here! 

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can use vertex paint materials and decals to break up the tiled look. They can do a lot. All your graffiti could be a decal. Those dirts leaks and stuff could be vertex painted. 
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    You can use vertex paint materials and decals to break up the tiled look. They can do a lot. All your graffiti could be a decal. Those dirts leaks and stuff could be vertex painted. 
    Hi Obscura, thanks for the reply!

Ah ok! So, what, I would do a completely dirty texture also and vertex-paint it in the engine?

Also of the two techniques I mentioned above, which is the more preferred?

Thanks again dude!
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Both can be used. One serves one purpose and the another does tha another.

Yeah you can have a dirty version of a texture and vertex paint that. But you don't always need this. Sometimes its enough if you just use like a tint with nice blending or something. You can also use height map based blends to get more interesting effects. like paint that nicely transitions into bricks. Or you can use a damaged version of the normal map and paint that. Many possibilities. Analyze your case, and decide what you need. 
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Both can be used. One serves one purpose and the another does tha another.

Yeah you can have a dirty version of a texture and vertex paint that. But you don't always need this. Sometimes its enough if you just use like a tint with nice blending or something. You can also use height map based blends to get more interesting effects. like paint that nicely transitions into bricks. Or you can use a damaged version of the normal map and paint that. Many possibilities. Analyze your case, and decide what you need. 
    Awesome man, thanks a lot!