Home Technical Talk

Planning to upgrade to GTX 1060 6GB, Anyone using this card

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
Hi,
 I am planning to upgrade to GTX 1060 6GB(in my budget :) ), are you guys using this card. Is it good, i will use Maya, Mari, Photoshop, After Effect, Substance Painter and Marvelous Designer. Thanks.

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It should be pretty good. I've got a GTX 1070 and it's been great so far on Windows 7. Haven't tested with Photoshop, After Effects, and Marvelous Designer but I can get a pretty good number of layers in Mari with it.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to work(paint mask, etc) in 4K textures in Substance Painter with GTX 1060 6GB. Currently with Quadro K4200 painting in 4k textures is very slow(not workable), 2k textures work fine.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should be pretty good. I've got a GTX 1070 and it's been great so far on Windows 7. Haven't tested with Photoshop, After Effects, and Marvelous Designer but I can get a pretty good number of layers in Mari with it.
    Do you use Substance Painter, Is it possible to work(paint mask, etc) in 4K textures?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    The most important part is the 6GB of vram as you're unlikely to benefit from the polygon rendering speed. That amount of vram has been a godsend for me as I wouldn't have been able to work with these huge Substance Designer networks in 8k without it.
    Which graphics card do you have?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    The painting seems to have a couple frames more latency than Mari or Krita but it's quite possible to work in 4k in SP2 on the GTX 1070 with just a tiny bit of lag. It seems to run a little bit below 30 fps although it's definitely workable. (I haven't measured that, so you should take it with a grain of salt. Also keep in mind that the GTX 1060 has a little bit lower performance, although the VRAM shouldn't make a big difference unless you go up to lots of layers in SP2 before taking your asset over to Mari.)
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much @perna and @JedTheKrampus for replying. I plan to buy the card this weekend, will let you guys know about the performance of the card then :)
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i bought Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 6GB. Now i can paint with 8K paint buffer in Mari and in Substance Painter 4K paint is little slow but workable. And Marvelous Designer performance is hugely increased. So far very happy :)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I got one last week I find substance painter is working great, don't forget you can always work at 1024/2048 then scale up to 4k :)
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got one last week I find substance painter is working great, don't forget you can always work at 1024/2048 then scale up to 4k :)
    Yeah, work at 2k and scale up is the plan :) . Which model did you buy?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    kolayamit said:
    Yeah, work at 2k and scale up is the plan :) . Which model did you buy?
    I wen't with the Palit dual fan, would have gone Asus but my distributor had no ETA on it and I just couldn't be bothered to wait around lol
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, Palit one is also good :)
  • ronin3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello kolayamit, im planning to buy that card too or maybe a 1070, now that you had use it for a long time its worthy for 4K? im a professional modeller/painter for videogames and i would love to paint directly in 4k and not using the 1k-4k trick, please help me
    pd. do you have or know any video link with painter and gtx cards in use? thanks in advance
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ronin3d said:
    Hello kolayamit, im planning to buy that card too or maybe a 1070, now that you had use it for a long time its worthy for 4K? im a professional modeller/painter for videogames and i would love to paint directly in 4k and not using the 1k-4k trick, please help me
    pd. do you have or know any video link with painter and gtx cards in use? thanks in advance
    Hi ronid3d, i would recommend you to buy the GTX 1070(Asus or Gigabyte overclocked version). The extra 2GB should allow you to work smoothly at 4k in substance painter, which is not possible with my card.