Home Technical Talk

Smal Smoothing Group Question. 3DS MAX

null
Offline / Send Message
Splinks null
Would anyone perhaps know of a way to surpass the 32 smoothing group limit in 3ds max?
I'm currently making Collision model of a Swimming Pool for Garry's Mod and was just curious if there was perhaps a plugin to add more smoothing groups numbers.

Replies

• DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    32 seems to fit suspiciously perfect within a 32-bit mask so I don't think it's possible to do that no. Not sure if you have to though. If you want every face to be uniquely smoothened such that its neighbors aren't smoothened then surely you can use auto-smooth and set the angle to something very low. Smoothing groups are just a way for 3ds max to know what polygons are "grouped" together when calculating normals at each vertex so maybe you're just looking to split all the normals at every vertex(unless your 3ds max->gmod toolchain involves smoothing groups) .
  • Splinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splinks null
    @DEElekgolo
    Thank you. But sadly when making a Collision model for Source Engine games to have concave collisions rather then the engine generating a custom model that convex on every outer vertice of the reference model. You have to have each model(element) on a separate smoothing group or else elements with the same smoothing groups will merge and break the collision

here's an example. 
    https://s7.postimg.org/un3jyqdrf/Spaceship_New01.png

But if it's not possible that's fine, I can find a work around. The question was eating me up and I just had to know.
  • Splinks
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    As long as your pieces are not connected, they can share smoothing group 1 or 2 or whatever, I'm sure? My guess would be that the 32 smoothing group limit is only, well, limiting if you have a continous mesh which you need to somehow split into 33+ smoothing groups.
    In the end, all the Source engine will be able to recognize are smoothing breaks due to vertex splits. Of course I might be wrong - been about 8 years since I touched Source in earnest. ;)
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    You only need one smoothing group for source engine colission models. Just make sure your elements are not welded together or something. There is however a limitation of how many elements a colission model can have.
  • Splinks
  • Splinks