Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bathroom Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
Hey all,

this is a small environment project. This is my first attempt at creating anything beyond individual props or simple characters/busts. I am using Substance Designer to author as many of the materials as possible. Comment and critique is welcome.

This is where I am at right now

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Nothing looks as shiny and reflective as I'd expect in a clean bathroom.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is this rendered in?

Also, PNGs really suck.

• ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Meloncov I'm still at a pseudo block-in/modeling phase, so maybe there will be more shiny by the end. Tile materials are not final and I'm continually tweaking them as I go. I'm basing this off a real bathroom, which I have access to. I'm not going for clean or dirty. Just realistic.

@Eric Chadwick Whoops. Accidentally uploaded the png file on the first image. Fixed.

This is rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2, although I may switch to UE4 once it's further along.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    Yea I would expect some more reflectivity in most of your materials everything seems really matte looking.  the modelling and scale looks pretty good so far :) 
    I feel like theres something off about the shower/arch part but can't quite put my finger on it. Are the tiles cut like that in the real bathroom? 
  • Sheers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you share an image of the world with detail lighting only?  I'd like to see how it looks without the materials.  

Use some spotlights or smaller lights to nudge us into the bathroom, but have the source of light come from the window itself!  I feel there is a skylight used to fill in the room instead of using the window light.  I totally get it's proxy mode, but I believe in having a basic concept of lighting nailed down so you can feel better moving to other areas.  

• ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Adelphia
    Ok, I see what you and Meloncov are getting at now. Whether the apparent lack of reflectivity is the result of the flat, low environment (sky) lighting and little significant screen-space reflections, or the materials themselves, I can't say at this point. I'm settings up the environment in UE4 atm. If the materials still look at bit flat in UE4 I will try to improve that aspect.

The shower arch is as it is in real life, if a bit thicker than it should be. Here is one of the reference images with the arch in it.

@Sheers
    Not sure what detail lighting is, exactly. Here's one render with and one without environment map (sky) lighting, which I'm using as ambient fill.

The lighting atm consists of one light at the window (sunlight from a frosted glass window), one light on the ceiling in-front of bathtub (2x60 W incandescent-like light bulbs behind diffusing glass), and the environment map (relatively flat white ambient/fill lighting). There are at least five other light sources in the real bathroom that I might add; natural sunlight from the hallway, 3 incadescent-like lights, and 1 small spotlight. Although, I might remove the light in-front of the bathtub and create two lighting conditions; one lit by sunlight and one lit artificially, at night. 

I hadn't planned on significantly deviating from the real bathroom, and that includes lighting. I understand that lighting can be an art form all by itself, so I'll think about implementing different lighting ideas under artificially lit conditions.
  • ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time, no update. I've been working on this bit by bit, making small changes every so often over the last (almost) year. For now I'm finished with this, although I might come back to polish it up some more later.

This is rendered in MT3. I decided not to use UE4. I'm more comfortable with MT3 and the new GI tech is real nice. I'm not using any pre-baked environment mapping: GI and local reflections only.

As I said a year ago, I planned to create two lighting setups and I did.

Natural Lighting

Artificial Lighting

Artstation