Home Technical Talk

3ds Max - Noise after Rendering

Good Day fellow designers,

I am still a newbie when it comes to 3D modeling in 3ds max, so apologies if this is a simple question. I attached some rendering images to show the problems I am having. There is a lot of noise on both images after rendering  and I dont know how to fix it. Especially against the walls and floor. Can somebody please assist me.

Kind Regards.

Replies

• Wintersun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wintersun polycounter lvl 12
    What rendering engine are you using?

It can be caused by 2 things, Light or Material or both. And can be fixed 3 ways, adjusting light, material or render settings.
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    You might want to give Iray a try. it looks like you're using mental ray. there are a million more settings in mental ray than iray so it's easier to get a good result.
    Also you just set it to render and then stop it when all the noise is gone. :)
  • Pixelandpaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using Vray, below are all my settings, thank you for the help.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Using Vray you can go the easy way by setting the image sampler to progressive path-tracing, set time to unlimited, and getting out your guitar or making a cup of tea, and simply wait for the noise to clear.......... Or you can learn what's going on 'under the hood' by leaving the image sampler as adaptive and delving into the settings. Basically noise can be separated into 2 types: AA(anti-aliasing) sampling and scene sampling(lights/materials/GI) At the moment your AA samples are at a very low setting - 1/4, but your scene samples are quite high(material/lights/you don't show your GI engines or samples) The adaptive sampler is sampling nearby pixels and taking into account things like glossiness, large flat surfaces, contrast between pixels, highly detailed textures/geometry, very thin lines of pixels, etc and using more or less samples up to the threshold depending on the pixel in question. So you need to balance scene and AA samples. An easy way to do this is to add render elements: GI, lighting, shadows, and sample rate. Now when you render you can call those elements in the VFB(virtual frame buffer)separately and see where the noise culprits are. Call your sample rate element pass - red=low samples green and the blue=more samples and less noise. Set your adaptive samples max to 8 or 16 and re-render. Once happy with the AA noise then you can do the same for the other passes. This way you can isolate sampling settings. Then there is the divide shading subdivs checkbox. By unchecking this you will get much better quality with less noise and varying longer render times depending on how complex your materials are. This is on by default and automatically trys to balance scene/AA sampling at rendertime. You can also lower colour/noise threshold for certain areas of the image that are hard for the sampler to work on. The amount of light entering and bouncing into a dark scene like this also dramatically affects the amount of noise. Do you have a light portal at the window? If not, then put one there. Learn the differences between the GI engines: Brute force Vs Light Cache Vs Photon map(older irradiance engine has been replaced)