Home Technical Talk

So i installed a script. Now what?

christopheduron
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
christopheduron polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys,

I've been following some tutorials from Simon Fuchs about hard poly modeling within max and a little bit of Zbrush. In this tutorial he shares some files so that we can use the scripts that he uses aswel, but he only seems to explain how one of them is installed, similar to textools this one is very easy to install and add to the toolbar.

Haytools was also part of the list of scripts which allows the user a lot of special functions like being able to add a unique smoothing group to a selection instead of having to manually click a different number yourself. I unzipped this file into my 3dsmax directory and i can access them when i go to 'scripting - run script' and select the script manually. What i can't figure out is how i get them to be visible in the 'customize user interface' menu so i can add shortcuts to them.

Google searches and tutorials aren't being helpful, so i decided to ask for help on polycount instead.

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Hey,

Thanks for watching my tutorials. If you can`t get the script to work you can also just use the smooth selected function that comes with max by default. You can find that in the Main Ui Group under the all commands category. It does the same thing.

As far as haywood tools not working for you, you probably have unpacked the scripts into the wrong folders or the folder structure in the script that you downloaded does not match your max version. Newer versions of max have different folders for different kind of scripts. Check if your max by default has the folders in its root directory that are in the script pack. I assume that is not the case on your machine so you will have to manually extract each folder into the corresponding folder for your max version (For example, the location of the macroscripts folder changed in the newer max versions)

• christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the crazy fast reply! I just checked out this smooth selected option and it seems to do the job perfectly.

Perhaps one more question while you're here? The double turbosmooth script that you made yourself, did you share this somewhere? I don't believe you did and neither do i know if you're willing to. I've only been following your tutorials for a couple of hours and it's starting to look like a mighty useful script. I'm not sure how to make them myself you see.

Either way, cheers for the help!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Here's a vid from my YT channel showing how to create your own scripts without scripting. Just follow the same steps to create double TS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCLAD_HZY9U
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Musashidan, that was a lot easier than i expected. Alright, looks like i got all the help i needed, back to the tutorial!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    No problem mate. Good luck with the rest of the tut.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    @christopheduron

Working on a new tutorial at the moment that will cover all the scripts i`m using as well as installing them. You can follow me on my facebook page to get notified on release.

https://www.facebook.com/hardsurface3d