Home General Discussion

Fighting Depression

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CptAlbatross polycounter lvl 4
Man, being laid off sucks.

I got laid off from my last two jobs because the Oil and Gas business tanked and a ton of studios in town are shrinking or closing because of it. So now I'm working my buns off at home to try to get a job in games as a Modeler, but Christ it's been 4 months now and no interest yet. There's one company locally that I want to get into, but from what I hear from everyone in town and what I'm experiencing now, it takes forever to actually get in or get a response. I'm trying to stay active at home and get projects done, but it's tough sometimes. I miss talking to people in a studio and I miss working on projects together and getting paid. I think the worst of it is feeling like I'm not good enough and never will be. It's a silly thing to think as an artist, because you can always raise your skill if you put in the time, but some days I have to fight myself from saying, "what's the point?"

I don't know. I'm not really looking for a pity party or people to tell me, "Nah Albatross, yer stuff is amazing." I'm just a little worn out and need to vent somewhere. What would you guys suggest? What got you through the hard times?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been through some slow times, where it felt like I just wasn't good enough to get any work. I think most artists feel this if they're at all focused on getting better.

Exercise helped me a lot, it's easy to get depressed if your energy level is low.

Also going to tech social events, and forcing yourself to mingle and let people know what you do and that you are looking for work. I have a lot of freelance work now, all due to meeting people at local industry events.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About feeling you're not good enough, reminded me of this great post from @EarthQuake
    Is the game industry bloated with developers?
  • vertex_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertex_ polycounter lvl 7
    As Eric mentioned, exercise is a huge help. Even a 10 minute run or walk through nature each day can make a substantial positive impact. That would absolutely be my #1 tip for fighting depression. If you have some money to get a gym membership then that's even better. I've admittedly been through bouts of gloom in the past. Consistent exercise has helped me immensely and there are a ton of other benefits to regular exercise.

Make sure to stay in touch with friends and family. Socializing and maintaining good friendships with the right people keeps a stable mood. Loneliness is a mind killer.

Coincidentally, I developed 3D environments for oil & gas simulations for just under a couple years. It was really tough for us as a company when the price of oil tanked because we all knew the industry was in the toilet and there was realistically nothing we could do to help the situation. I ended up finding a new opportunity in game development. I may have been fortunate to find the job, but I know working hard on my portfolio didn't hurt my chances.

Keep your head up, work on the portfolio, and make sure to fit some exercise in. If you think the quality/scope of your portfolio is lacking, post your work here for critique. I've seen portfolios transformed by solid critique here. If your portfolio is solid, make a challenge of applying to a studio every couple days.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    my goals get me through any doubt, depression, whatever. i want to accomplish certain things for myself and take care of my moms. and ain't no one gonna stop me. that's what gets me through.

but it does suck when you put out art you dislike and it isn't looking like you hoped it would. so far none of the art i made i'm proud of, it's just disappointment after disappointment but i know eventually i'll start making fly shit.

it is what it is.

• CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working out definitely needs to happen again. It's easy to fall into the hole think you have to be working almost all day everyday. I'm going to try to be an active member of this community as I feel like I'm hitting the wall by trying to figure stuff out on my own. Luckily I've already booked tickets to CTNExpo in November, so if I play my cards right, I might get a few leads there.

At the end of the day, I want to be an amazing artist and it's good to know that folks here who are there already have gone through some tough times like I am. Thanks everybody.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, when I'm in a bad state I try to work out whenever my thoughts start getting wonky.  Lately it's been more than once per day.  

The other thing I try to do is just to do at least one tiny thing to move toward where I want to go per day.  Even if it's just a single minute of sketching.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
    I am feeling the same way as i havent had a job for 7+ years and suffering from depression etc. Very hard to motivate yourself to do anything as i struggle to learn big time. I hope you find away to get motivated. For me i joined a group on reddit where there is a new Item to model each day(Simple items) to get people motivated and learning to model. it is called Daily3d
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I can definitely see talent on your artstation but it is a bit all over the place in terms of quality.
    Perhaps all you need is a little direction.
    If you get a more structure in there, show some more work and sort out some things you will improve your chances to find jobs or freelance work and thereby helping with your depression ;)

The white knight is your strongest piece. The market for characters is pretty saturated tho. If you could make some environment art pieces in that quality would help you a lot.
    The greyscale robot you should either finish or remove. Unfinished greyscale alone by itself often sends a wrong message imo, unless its some super detailed mind blowing demonstartion of particular skills.
    The pistol has some smoothing or bake errors. That should be fixed.

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Exercise and a proper diet basically saved my mind. I was skinny as heck, but i was basically a walking corps who smoked a pack day and ate like a teenager (ew veggies). Once i started to exercise regularly ( 45 minutes - 3 days a week, which is as minimal as it gets) everything felt better. 

Always days of up and down. But overall, for myself, putting most of my energy into being a "great artist" had huge implications. Fear of failure or acceptance always lingering. I think redirecting my energy  a little bit more into how i felt was important. Instead of deriving pleasure from the results of my art (accolades, respect, money, whatnot) trying to just enjoy the process helped a tonne. Now i seek out the parts of my processes that bring me the most joy and repeat it over and over.  I love trying new techniques or learning a new software, or mucking about with some photo realistic rendering. I love knowing that i can create alternate realities at the tip of my fingers and sometimes following through and sometimes just sitting on it for a little while. 

Think about the fact that you couldn't even make a cube look cool when you started and now you can turn a dang cube into damn near anything in existence. Think about the first time you opened photoshop and couldn't figure out what the fuck the checkers were in a transparent background or even how to have dang transparent background and now you've traveled all the way to a point where nothing about photoshop is scary or really unknown. Even your ability to learn has most likely grown exponentially. 

Sadly, money kinda rules everything currently and we gotta eat. And sometimes you gotta make some sacrifices to eat. But if you chase the things you love about this artistic process eventually someone will respecognize and most likely pay you. 

Hope something in there is of use. I no good at words. 
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope something in there is of use. I no good at words. 
    Words good. Give strength for hard times.

• CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Some good shit.)
    I appreciate the advice. I agree that my portfolio still lacks cohesiveness. To me it still looks like something a college kid or beginner would put out.  These days, I'm trying to find ways to do more. So more than just a gun floating in space (that's getting the boot) or a character just floating there. I'll keep the robot, but use it as an exercise in UV unwrapping and texturing. This might be the amateur speaking, but I kind of like to do everything so long as there's modeling involved. What would you advise I do from a modeler stand point?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Didn't read the whole thread, but as it seems like you have the skills just take a refreshing shower, go for morning walks and pump out more art, upload more art to artstation, great place to get job offers.

Maybe take on some freelance work to get some money as well as portfolio material and to regain confidence.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Albatross, to me your portfolio doesent really say what you want to do......theres no realistic environments, so, cant hire you for that, theres only one fairly standard weapon, so cant hire you for that, one character, etc etc etc.......

Theres a chance youll get picked up as a generalist, but if you want to expand you chance of work, make a full environment piece, and make it kickass, or model a bunch of nice pbr textured props. IMO
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    In addition to getting plenty of exercise and hanging out with a positive supportive group of friends, you can keep yourself optimistic, or train yourself to be optimistic if you aren't already. Cognitive therapy has been transforming how depression is treated, such that there is not as much emphasis on meds and more on controlling your own thoughts. Here is a great primer, which has enough information to really help:

https://www.amazon.com/Learned-Optimism-Change-Your-Mind/dp/1400078393/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468255539&sr=8-1&keywords=learned+optimism+how+to+change+your+mind+and+your+life
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Isolation is the real killer, to use a slightly indelicate word. Outside of being miserable, once you've been stuck around the house for a while without seeing many folks, your social skills can start to deteriorate which makes it harder to get out with others and harder to land that job when it eventually presents itself. 

I'd recommend finding a regular non-video game related hobby that gets you out of the house and in with other friendly people. Something fun that you'll always want to do, rather than something like gym where you'll likely feel too down and tired to deal with (that's not to say you shouldn't also get yourself plenty of exercise). I got into playing board games with the groups in my city. It's an enjoyable thing to do, good way to meet folks if you're not a social butterfly, and keeps the brain ticking over when you've got nothing much else going on.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Why don't you consider making some tutorials or asset packages for side income?

Udemy.com is in need of some high quality 3D modelling tutorials.

I've always found it easier to find customers than employers.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    (Some good shit.)
    I appreciate the advice. I agree that my portfolio still lacks cohesiveness. To me it still looks like something a college kid or beginner would put out.  These days, I'm trying to find ways to do more. So more than just a gun floating in space (that's getting the boot) or a character just floating there. I'll keep the robot, but use it as an exercise in UV unwrapping and texturing. This might be the amateur speaking, but I kind of like to do everything so long as there's modeling involved. What would you advise I do from a modeler stand point?
    Find a niche and stick with it. At least for a while, until you have some good pieces to show in that one direction, be it weapons, environments or whatever. I wouldn't focus on characters if i was in your shoes. You need a job, and thers thousands of people dreaming of becoming a character artist. If you're not in the top 5-10% of talent+skill it's not looking good. I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass but for env art, from my gut feeling, you only need to be in like the top 25% to have no trouble getting hired. It's easier to get there in comparison. That's still hard enough for a lot of people, but looking at your portfolio i think you have the potential to get there.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I hit that low point once. 

It really really sucked.

I was suffering from anxiety attacks, my girlfriend at the time dumped me.

The employer that let me go, burned me out from several months of mandatory 7-day week (12 hour days), and had missed several paycheques. This required me to live in overdraft protection while bouncing all of my living expenses between 2 credit cards, paying off an oppressive student loan, while I waited 6 months for an EI cheque (no shit, the EI offices of Burnaby won the Lotto Max jackpot in an office pool).

As cliche as it sounds, this quote helped me through:

• Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    don't get stuck in the house!  For reals. You've gotta make sure to get out and about at least twice a day EVERY day.
    ride a bike, go for a walk (or jog if you jog). Do something physical every day.
    Just as good as antidepressants, and safer. 
    there are proteins in your brain that can actually create new braincells and they can only be activated by exercise.

also, 4 months isn't that long to be without work. not trying to tell you how to feel.
    just remember, the more time you have off work is time you have to make your portfolio BETTER.
    Use it! 
    the better your portfolio the easier it is to find jobs and the less your time out will be :)

good luck!
  • yukonwanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    I gotta say looking at your Artstation, even though it's small, I think it shows a lot of skill!   I'm a noob though, but I'm surprised no one has hired you yet.  Take other people's advice about it, I think you've def got the skill, and putting it to good use being productive working on your portfolio to flesh it out according to feedback on here might give you a boost, not to mention a job.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Dude, I love The White Knight character you made! Awesome stuff.
    Aside from what everyone else mentioned, you can still socialize online with folks while working on some art. There's so much nowadays like Skype, Slack, Discord, Twitch, etc. It's also a balance too going out though and staying, avoiding that cabin fever. 

CptAlbatross said:
    I think the worst of it is feeling like I'm not good enough and never will be. It's a silly thing to think as an artist, because you can always raise your skill if you put in the time, but some days I have to fight myself from saying, "what's the point?"
    Yeah, I think we go through that phase at some point. I'm sure the more you study/work on art, get feedback, get responses from applications, the less that thought comes to mind. 
  • AlexN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexN polycounter lvl 2
    Lots of great info in this thread.  I'm in the same boat OP, it's been more than a year since I've finished school, and after seemingly constant rejection from job after job, I'm seriously questioning if I can really make it in this industry.  The furthest I've gotten is one art test submission.  I've been working on some personal projects as well as doing some remote work, but I am currently at a barely-above-minimum-wage job just to keep my head above water.  I left a very secure job in the medical field to pursue this career path, and since I have been out of that field for almost 3 years, I'm getting rejected from jobs in my prior field too!
    I do admit though, that ultimately this does fall on me, since I have not been posting my work in enough places to be visible.  I only recently started posting on the Ten Thousand Hours FB group, and I certainly have not posted my work on this forum enough.  Part of it is that self-doubt, that I don't think some of my work is even worth posting; it's just something that I have to get over.  I am also somewhat limited by my location; due to family reasons, I am unable to re-locate to areas with greater opportunities (Austin, Cali, Washington, etc.). 
    If I have any advice for you, it's to try to find a group of like-minded individuals in your area and try to make some connections with them.  For example, I recently joined a group in my area through meetup.com, and I have made some connections that may possibly lead to future work.  Best of luck to you and everyone here! 
  • yukonwanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    @AlexN - looking at your portfolio - I think it's a good start, but from what I've seen in others' folios, I think you need to work on your texturing and rendering skills still to get to that high level stuios seem to be looking for.  For example, in the wine glass image, if you look at a real glass of wine, it doesn't look like that.  You can see the wine a lot more, and then you've got completely blank windows, making the scene seem sterile.  A lot of your stuff could benefit from looking less sterile if you know what I mean?
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    @AlexN - I just wanted to chime in an emphasize how valuable posting and sharing your work is. I only very recently have started sharing more and getting feedback and it helps tremendously to have other sets of (often much more experienced) eyes to help you and give you advice. Don't doubt yourself! Post your stuff at early WIP stages and don't be afraid to be vulnerable and flexible. It will help you grow so much more!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    at least its not a cat picture

The really odd thing is that when I get really down I produce better work
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Depression is a trap, it occurs when we think and care too much. It's not even real, we are doing it to ourselves....
    The best thing to do is to shut up for a moment, stop thinking and focus not on what you would like to do, but on what needs to be done and get into that mode.
    Those who are mentally focused don't suffer from depression. Depression is almost like a distraction, so stay busy.
    This is misinformation. Depression (assuming we aren't just talking about lethargy and lack of motivation) is an imbalance in brain chemicals. It's not something we do to ourselves, and it doesn't go away by trying to ignore it. It can lead to thinking/caring too much, it is not the result of thinking/caring too much.

While life events can trigger it, it's not so simple to get rid of as many would pretend it is, and not every case can be gotten rid of. It isn't just a mood or an emotion. It's something more.

That being said, doing things that make you feel better can help very much, and can get rid of it, if you're lucky. At the very least it can help get you through it. If that means going out and meeting people, or staying inside and reading, or whatever, then do that. Whatever works.

Also, posting that Robin Hood video is super condescending. Despite how awesome it is in the movie.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Being outside, surfing, meditation, and cannabis.
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, I think this is starting to go deeper than what I originally intended. There's been a lot of helpful advice and kind word here. I think at the end of the day what seems to matter is not being a cave troll that hates yourself all the time and have interesting ideas fueled by external stimuli. I think a really helpful part is knowing that everyone goes through this stuff every now and then, and not just beginners. Tis the life of an artist I suppose, but hey so long as we keep putting out cool work I suppose everything will be okay.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I just wanted to say guys that this thread right here is one of the many reasons why this community is so fucking awesome. This thread put a huge smile on my face and I feel super motivated to go and make...something.
  • JuGgAlOrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JuGgAlOrD null
    edited: Nevermind. Nobody would care anyway.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    JuGgAlOrD said:
    edited: Nevermind. Nobody would care anyway.
    I read it before you deleted it.  I definitely care and wish you the best.  Keep trying.  I hope it gets better.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say. Step back a litttle bit and stop thinking about your carreer.
    Take care of yourself, exercise DAILY. www.stronglifts.com 3x time a week and some cardio will make you feel like another person in few days.
    You need that hormone stuff, and then things start to fall into place.
    Something that really helped me was cutting coffe for a while (coffee can boost anxiety) , add Turmeric on my died (in capsules, or tea from the root). And cut drastically sugar intake (if you're on a sugar addiction, it really drains your energy).

That's my 2c
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    I'm going to drop my two cents here, this thread is a good read and a lot of people had said very good things here.

The other day I started reading Island by Aldous Huxley which started with a brief introduction about the author's life, experiences and books published. I always find these biographies very interesting as they put things in perspective. Without being accurate here, Huxley spent a very long time, years and years, before his first breakthrough. Not only that but also it is usually described as "he spent 7 years writing and eventually published X which made him a well known artist". What always struck me as interesting is how those 7 years, which must have been hard gruelling years are described in a single sentence. 

The reason I bring this is because sometimes when we are looking at ourselves, our careers and goals we are only thinking short term. You mention it has been 4 months without hearing anything back and whilst I know that is very frustrating it is a relatively short period of time. Take a step back and look at everything from a broader perspective and create a plan that will allow you to work towards getting the job you want. I'm not saying it will take 7 years or anything, but sometimes success doesn't come overnight (and when it does it's usually because there's years and years of work behind it).

Good luck, exercise, eat healthy and stay positive :)
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    As someone who also misses being in studio (freelance f/t from home), I'm finding that Slack chats and Skype helps with that feeling of isolation.

Can't help much with the deeper depression stuff, but that's mostly because of what all was said here. Although, long walks and classical music in the mornings might help too. Someone also suggested pot....and I don't think that's the best way to go. You know. Just saying. Maybe save that for when you're kicking ass in studio again (or freelancing, life is crazy and you never know where your success will be). 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    There wasn't a dark cloud following me, it wasn't the chemicals in my brain, it was caused by me and only me.
    Well, I guess you're lucky that that was the case for you. But your experiences are not everyone's.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying depression is subjective. I was saying that what you experienced may not be the same manifestation of depression as what someone else with depression experiences. Just because yours was able to be assuaged by your iron-will doesn't mean someone else's depression would or could respond to it. 

There's a gene that makes me hate cilantro, and I think that proves the human body is strange and complex, and that people are not all the same.
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    I personally have spent 1 year in an acute psychiatric hospital that means i was under lock and key and could not leave because i had and still have a mental health problem. I am not going to go into details on my self, i could if anyone is interested. Trust me depression can go a whole lot deeper and more aggressive than what you think, one patient who i got to know well, had severe depression and she needed to be looked after professionally and needed a safe haven to get better. I never asked her what she thought of medication, I personally do take medication on a daily basis and i think it helps. After seeing and talking to her i now can see what depression can do to you, i know its hard for people to understand but i would not label my self depressed so lightly after knowing her. There are many other words to describe how you feel, worried, anxious, scared even.   
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Modern Antidepressant usually do one thing and one thing only: they increase the amount of active Serotonin available in the brain by blocking or slowing down the re-absorption of Serotonin. Serotonin is usually active for a certain time, then it gets cleaned out of the system. Antidepressants cheat the system by simulating a higher amount of Serotonin by cycling the same serotonin longer, the actual deficiency is left untouched.
     Even if we accept that Serotonin deficiency is a major factor for depression, i wonder isn't that therapy the same as treating malnutrition with appetite suppressants?
  • CptAlbatross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkaria said:
    Whoa this is some deep interesting psychological thread now lmao
    Yeah this definitely went somewhere.
  • Alan Yang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alan Yang null
    Ryusaki said:
    Modern Antidepressant usually do one thing and one thing only: they increase the amount of active Serotonin available in the brain by blocking or slowing down the re-absorption of Serotonin. Serotonin is usually active for a certain time, then it gets cleaned out of the system. Antidepressants cheat the system by simulating a higher amount of Serotonin by cycling the same serotonin longer, the actual deficiency is left untouched.
     Even if we accept that Serotonin deficiency is a major factor for depression, i wonder isn't that therapy the same as treating malnutrition with appetite suppressants?
    well, I'd modify that analogy and say it's more like treating anorexia with an appetite enhancer until the patient can get back to their feet and eat at a healthy level. I believe everyone should definitely pay attention to their level of exercise, what they are eating, and consider a therapist if they think they are suffering from a mood disorder, but for many people, medication can be a very helpful tool in digging themselves out of a hole. not everybody will respond the same way to exercise and therapy (or medication), and some people may be so far gone that suddenly transforming their lifestyle is not yet viable. it's foolish to discount an avenue of treatment which many people find transformative. personally, I can say that a combination of exercise and medication is what saved me when I was struggling, not one or the other in isolation.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Great thread :)

Just wanted to pop in here and give you guys a friendly warning, if some of you might be considering taking meds: My sister suffers from manic depression and has been prescribed various meds over time, but one med was pure horror for her: duloxetine (usually called Cymbalta). There have been lawsuits etc. from people taking it because the pharma company "forgot" to mention what is called Duloxetine Discontinuation Syndrome, which basically are severe withdrawal symptoms. She took it for a couple of months and decided to stop and she had to taper off very slowly, over several months, in order to avoid those crazy symptoms and still from 15mg to 0mg she still had quite a few problems.

Don't take Cymbalta, there are many other meds that are easier to cope with.

• Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    As of today i fight my anhedonia /minor depression on the neurochemical front. I basically  will supplement every essential amino acid and predecessors of every important neurotransmitter plus lots of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.   Main focus is to increase Serotonin and Dopamine levels. I feel empty and without much energy (constantly). 
    I have taken one dose of 5-htp, L-trypthan,  Phenylalanine plus vitamins and as absurd as it sounds i am already feeling it.
    Something warm and fuzzy inside of my body. Tingling of the scalp. It feels really good. Kinda like being slightly stoned.
    I am very curious how that supplement method develops , feels like a perfect start.

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I hit that low point once. 

It really really sucked.

I was suffering from anxiety attacks, my girlfriend at the time dumped me.

The employer that let me go, burned me out from several months of mandatory 7-day week (12 hour days), and had missed several paycheques. This required me to live in overdraft protection while bouncing all of my living expenses between 2 credit cards, paying off an oppressive student loan, while I waited 6 months for an EI cheque (no shit, the EI offices of Burnaby won the Lotto Max jackpot in an office pool).

As cliche as it sounds, this quote helped me through:

Saving that image as its a great quote from someone who has legit been there and made it, Only advice I can add is in the short term I find when life gets me down and things are spiraling out of control it is good to just take control of something, usually for me its cleaning and organizing my surroundings, by the time I am done, my desk is clear my books are organized, most of the time once my surroundings are clear, I am then in a better clearer headspace.