Home Technical Talk

mental ray in Maya - fundamentals tutorials?

Nerono
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nerono polycounter lvl 5

Replies

• Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    There's lots of really good tutorials from the gnomon workshop: https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials?tags[]=lighting-and-rendering&tags[]=mental-ray. They are all specific, talking about a single feature.(final gather for example), but not fundamentals,  and more than that most of them are old, and some not used in maya which I use..
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This isn't the best forum to ask about offline rendering and mental ray.
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    I might even recommend ignoring mental ray and going with a different renderer. There is a huge renderer competition to be the best these days so you have MANY choices, and mental ray is not even on the map.  The standard of quality is Vray. But there is a plethora of GPU based renderers to choose from for any software package.
    PLUS they are mostly designed to be much simpler and easier to learn. No more sea of weird settings for simple global illumination.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i wont ignore mental ray... 
    its far from dead.. its the only one with a modern GPU based Gi solution...
    the thing is you wont find any tutorial about the new stuff... 

if you are interested in mental ray apply for the beta...
    https://blog.mentalray.com/2016/02/22/mental-ray-for-maya-beta-with-nvidia/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed your thread title from "Mental Ray Fundamentals Tutorial Search" to "mental ray in Maya - fundamentals tutorials?" which should help you get better answers from people.

"mental ray" is always lower-case, using the right grammar shows you've done your homework, and when people see you're diligent about things like this they are more likely to help you. Adding "Maya" helps narrow it down to the software you personally use, and will draw in more people who also use Maya. Adding a question mark makes it totally clear you're seeking answers, rather than just providing info for others. I hope that helps.

There's a whole bunch of introductory material on the Autodesk site. Since I want to help you improve your search ability, here's how to find it:
    1. Google "mental ray Maya"
    2. The fourth result was "Mental Ray | 3D Rendering Software Engine | Autodesk" which looked like it was an overview page, not for a specific feature.
    3. On that page I clicked "Support & learning".
    4. I got some good results, like:

• Rendering with Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design and mental ray®: Five Easy Steps for AEC Users
    • An Introduction to Using mental ray in 3ds Max Design
    • mental ray workflow options and recommendations

Don't let the appearance of "3ds Max" throw you off. These were done in 3ds Max, but the same options are used in Maya. It will take minimal effort to transfer that info to your own Maya software.
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    I changed your thread title from "Mental Ray Fundamentals Tutorial Search" to "mental ray in Maya - fundamentals tutorials?" which should help you get better answers from people.

"mental ray" is always lower-case, using the right grammar shows you've done your homework, and when people see you're diligent about things like this they are more likely to help you. Adding "Maya" helps narrow it down to the software you personally use, and will draw in more people who also use Maya. Adding a question mark makes it totally clear you're seeking answers, rather than just providing info for others. I hope that helps.

There's a whole bunch of introductory material on the Autodesk site. Since I want to help you improve your search ability, here's how to find it:
    1. Google "mental ray Maya"
    2. The fourth result was "Mental Ray | 3D Rendering Software Engine | Autodesk" which looked like it was an overview page, not for a specific feature.
    3. On that page I clicked "Support & learning".
    4. I got some good results, like:

• Rendering with Autodesk® 3ds Max® Design and mental ray®: Five Easy Steps for AEC Users
    • An Introduction to Using mental ray in 3ds Max Design
    • mental ray workflow options and recommendations

Don't let the appearance of "3ds Max" throw you off. These were done in 3ds Max, but the same options are used in Maya. It will take minimal effort to transfer that info to your own Maya software.
    Thank you for the help and advice, appreciate it :)