Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Castle - Feedback welcomed!

null
Hey all,

This is my first topic on Polycount, thanks for checking in! :)

My boyfriend and I are practicing our environment art skills and hand painting skills on the concept art  by Guo Jing, 'The Castle'.

Reference:

Artist profile: https://www.artstation.com/artist/jingguo

We're wanting to stay true to the image, but also add our own personal touch to the piece. 

Here's what we've got so far:

We're hoping to get some valuable feedback from the community and tips on hand painting especially. I'm already avoiding the rocks and timber slats... :expressionless: 

Thanks guys! :smiley:

Replies

• Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Yay! Love the concept :)

It looks very WIP right now so I'm not gonna say much and wait for updates :)
    The only thing I wish to say is don't hesitate to break the silhouette. Everything is very straight on your model whereas everything seems to be bent or tappered on the concept (whole building has a fake persp which makes it looks smaller on the bottom and wider on the top which could be cool to imitate in 3D). Tower is bent, etc. Give it cartoony proportions!
  • DanniHindi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanniHindi null
    @Cremuss Thanks for providing feedback, I do hope you stay for the updates. :)

That's a very good point. I had always noticed the spire to the right being very slanted, but it wasn't so obvious that the whole castle was for me. Thanks for reminding me to take a step back and look at the overall picture. I agree it'll add character to the piece. :)

I've been working on smaller assets - and adding my own touch - by creating water lilies. I was really disliking my workflow for texturing in Photoshop, so this is my first time using 3D Coat! I need to customise it a bit more, but first impressions are awesome!

I tried adding AO in 3DC but having it on the top layer made all my colours look super dull - so I ended up painting in my own shadows :>

Anyway, hope this is looking like a water lily~ 

• Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    Cool! great start! I think will turn out very nice.
    I'd say notice how in the concept the forms all flow out like a flower and yours are kind of straight up?
    keep it going!
  • TOBSn08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
    I agree. You need to add some more deformations if you want to stay true to the concept. It's not all straight. I would also place more roof tiles towards the edges of the roofs to break up the straight lines/improve the silhouette. The flat parts can just be tiling textures if you want to save polygons. I like the concept :)