Home General Discussion

Cartrdge October challenge: Space in the Fall

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
rongolan null

Hi Polycounters! My name is Ron and I'm one of the founders of Cartrdge. We're a portfolio community exclusively for the video game industry; designers to animators to artists to composers, all the way to the folks who do stuff like UI design. That's part of what makes us different from the other portfolio sites out there; we support things like SoundCloud embeds, so that even the composers and SFX folks can get involved! 

You're probably thinking that this still sounds similar to a lot of other portfolio sites out there, but what we'll soon be launching is our advanced search. You'll be able to look for, say, an "Animator (or composer, game designer, etc) who lives in Seattle, who knows Maya." We want to be the go-to resource when you're searching for someone to hire, collaborate or partner with, and because of that make it really worth having your portfolio on Cartrdge. 

Here's a link to the site so you can check it out and signup if you'd like!

Replies

• rongolan
    Offline / Send Message
    rongolan null
    Also a little detail which I think the Animators here will appreciate, we take file sizes up to 50mb. So you can go particularly crazy with those gifs! :pleased:
  • rongolan
    Offline / Send Message
    rongolan null
    Hi Polycounters! 

We're excited to announce that our first ever contest on Cartrdge will be kicking off this Wednesday, June 29th! Themed 'Art and Animation', each submission will be an entry that displays your skills in - you guessed it - art and animation! We chose this theme because of the important role that both of these things play in a video game, and even more so to encourage collaboration and engagement in the community. We know that many of you can do one but not the other, and so we very much encourage you to team up for this contest. We have some great prizes, including gift cards from us as well software licenses from our awesome sponsors Allegorithmic and SideFX! We've also got an awesome panel of judges: 

There's also a fantastic judges panel, so this'll be a chance to get your work in front of four very talented folks: 
    • Orsi Spanyol - lead artist at Thekla, who spent the past 4.5 years working on The Witness
    • Glauber Kotaki - a pixel artist and animator currently working on Duelyst
    • James Benson - animator on Firewatch and Ori and the Blind Forest
    • Jobye-Kyle Karmaker - Senior World Artist and Monolith, previously work at Ubisoft
    Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with, and good luck! 

Ron
  • rongolan
    Offline / Send Message
    rongolan null
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to give this a little bump now that the contest has officially kicked off today. Some useful links:

- The official blog post for the contest with all the details
    - Cartrdge itself, where you can check out the site and sign up
    - Request form to the Slack channel we created. This'll be a place to chat with other Cartrdge users about all things game dev related, as well as find someone to team up with if you need a partner

Good luck to everyone, can't wait to see what you all make! 

• rongolan
    Offline / Send Message
    rongolan null
    Hi all - just wanted to bump this for a quick update: solo entries are now allowed in the Art and Animation contest!

If you do want to partner with someone though, feel free to join our Slack: http://goo.gl/forms/GizJxCTFwc7d9dvj1
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I'll bump too because its interesting, clicked and didn't expect quite so much art -- you seem to be forming a community! Best of luck man, I'll see if I can get involved :)
  • rongolan
    Offline / Send Message
    rongolan null
    Hey thanks Chimp! Sorry for not answering sooner, I didn't get the email notification for this. 

I really appreciate the kind words and hope you do get involved, would love to see you in the community! :) 
  • rongolan
    Offline / Send Message
    rongolan null
    Hi Polycounters, I wanted to let you all know about a contest that kicked off today on Cartrdge that I thought you might enjoy. Themed “Space in the Fall,” you’ll be imagining what fall might be like in space, and using that to design a scene depicting a part of a level. Let your imaginations run wild on this one; it could mean designing “fall-looking” spaceships, thinking about what the season would be like on another planet, or what the void itself might be like if it experienced seasons. Feel free to use whatever art style you’d like, and to team up with as many people as you want!