Home Technical Talk

Ngons, Aye or Nay ?

Monsterr
null
Offline / Send Message
Monsterr null
Hello Polycount 

As probably many of you since the day I've been learning to do 3D I was always told 'remember Ngons are bad, never use them" and I kept to this rule till now. So I'm mid way through the Ultimate Weapon Tutorial by Tim Bergholz and in his workflow I've noticed he uses quite number of ngons. So I'm trying to get my head around it, he makes a game ready AKM and uses ngons in some places. 

So my question is, are ngons not that bad as we think and if yes what's the proper use of them ? 

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ngons are completely fine on flat areas when sub division modeling. Pentagons in certain cases can give you better results easier, so why not use them.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I was always told 'remember Ngons are bad, never use them

Out of curiosity ... who told you that ?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, use what you need where you need it. It all gets broken down into triangles in the end. Don't be dogmatic about following rules, learn why so you can properly apply them... and... break them. 

Experiment. It really depends on what you're making and where it is going.
    Be mindful of how the triangulation flows and how it will deform if it is a mesh to be skinned and will be bending. I see them get used a lot to terminate loops.

If you're a 3dsmax user know that non-visible edges, that aren't defined, could get re tri-striped on import into other programs and engines leading to normal map seams and poor deformation. But there are a lot of ways to get around that and most Max users find it to be an asset not a detriment. Other programs that force edge flow and triangle striping can be hard to get edges to flow in opposite directions without making the edges visible. Max at least lets you work with them still as quads.
  • Monsterr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monsterr null
    I was always told 'remember Ngons are bad, never use them

Out of curiosity ... who told you that ?

Heard it multiple times by other 3D people around me and from many videos that were suppose to introduce me into 3D. 

Aye, use what you need where you need it.

Thank you very much guys for clarification, I can now see how to take advantage of them and speed up my workflow. 

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I heard this too, but 10 years ago, in the context of subdivison modeling, and even then it was rebutted.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    perna said:
    Wow. Just wow. So it's not enough for you that everyone says you can only use quads, you just have to be a derring-do rebel. Come on, leave well enough alone. Everyone knows ngons are bad, but there's always one person who has to break the rules in an effort to be "different" and "cool".

So your meshes might subdivide, bake and import well with ngons, but good luck maintaining a job or indeed friendships with such a decrepit attitude.

I never know if you're being serious or taking the piss.....;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Wow. Just wow. So it's not enough for you that everyone says you can only use quads, you just have to be a derring-do rebel. Come on, leave well enough alone. Everyone knows ngons are bad, but there's always one person who has to break the rules in an effort to be "different" and "cool".

So your meshes might subdivide, bake and import well with ngons, but good luck maintaining a job or indeed friendships with such a decrepit attitude.

I never know if you're being serious or taking the piss.....;)
    He's being very serious, when I worked at 3point we had an n-gon jar. Every time you use an n-gon, you have to put a dollar in the jar.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

He's being very serious, when I worked at 3point we had an n-gon jar. Every time you use an n-gon, you have to put a dollar in the jar.
    The reflections on that n-gon jar must have been just awful.....