Home General Discussion

What's with the 'rules' ?

bejibo
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
bejibo greentooth
Woke up to find out I was warned for this. Really guys your rules are getting much more stricker and is getting discouraging even posting on this website. 

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Maybe it was because of the new image sizes and number of images from the What are you working on? You posted 4 images of 1MB size
  • Francois_K
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep, they're just trying to make what are you working on easier to read. 
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    It's only getting stricter because some people don't consider pictures of 1+ MB to be excessive anymore and to stop people from not browsing WAYWO because it takes too much time to load. It's easier to resize a picture and refrain from posting multiple than get on a better internet connection.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. I wish we had an automated solution to solve this, but we don't yet. It'll have to be personal responsibility for now, until we do.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Its a great rule to be honest. The point of WAYWO is to let other people knows what we are working on at the moment.

With so many people posting multiple huge pictures above 1+ MB, it actually deter me from checking out other people's works in WAYWO, which is goes against its aim. 

Definitely a welcomed change for me, and i could actually check out others users works far more often now.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Yah its actually a great idea to remember people about image size.
    I often forget about it myself as I save those shots for myself and don,t realize they might be big to upload on a website.
    waywo was definitly getting super laggy and a pain to browse at time
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I'm really glad they started being stricter about image sizes because trying to load WAYWO from my phone when I'm not on my destop is damn near impossible with multiple people posting 3+ images of around 1 mb each to the thread. My phone would refuse to load it multiple times as well :/
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    for the first time i actaully want to check WAYWO when i browse the forum! never bothered before, knowing it would take a minute to load at least. very big thanks for enforcing the limit!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    It's a great change for those who are the classic drop-a-little-jpeg posters like me to not be overwhelmed by these 'series of huge wallpapers' posters that bury a lot of the smaller posts (and made worse with compound image quoting with a oneliner which also need to be dealt with as it's a modern bad forum habit happening everywhere these days, and especially on forum software where you can @ someone to reply to them). This is especially bad when large, unloaded pictures break the page layout until they're done downloading

i'm hoping it'll lead to more interaction and crits which should be good for everybody, like the old WIP threads :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    People are going to have the urge to "overpost" as long as waywo is being used to pull the majority of recap content.

hard to blame people for it, everyone wants to have their work recognized and right now the only way to do that is stand out in a single thread that is super crowded. It instinctually makes people want to post more shots of higher quality, more often.

I bet if the waywo stopped being included in the recap, or at least stopped being the sole contributer, it would turn back into what it had been, which was a more sharing focused thing, instead of what it is, which is more just s submission process for the recap.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually when browsing WAYWO for frontpage-able content, I always prefer to dive into their threads to see if I can find the image there. I'd much rather frontpage/recap threads than I would single WAYWO posts, which feel a bit like drive-bys, like the artist doesn't really care enough to invest in the community. I will frontpage a WAYWO post only if I can't find the art elsewhere on the site.

I'll mention this to Sean about the recaps. Obviously we can't ignore the WAYWOs for recaps, but we can definitely prefer threads.