Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tavern on a forest clearing

ChaosPanda
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ChaosPanda polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone.

So this is a scene I started a while ago but never really worked on due to diffrent things coming up like my final student project and bachelor thesis. However I recently started to spend more time on it and I think i can ask for first feedback.

The Idea:

The inspiration for this was a concept created by Artyom Vlaskin (http://artyomvlaskin.cgsociety.org/art/928310)

However I'll only use some of these elements used in this concept. e.g. I'll use stone walls for the bottom part and wooden walls for the upper part of the house.
I also want to have a porch/patio which serves as a entrance and storing space (underneath).

I also wanted to add a forest and a river close by (just to create a more beliveable scene)

Tools:

The purpose of this project is to show things that I had already learned (and already can do) as well as learning some new programms and new functions and ways to create realistic scenes.
So the tools I was planning on using was 3ds Max, Zbrush for Modeling and sculpting, Photoshop and Substance Designer for texturing as well as Substance Painter for some unique props.
At the beginning I was planning on setting up the scene in Unreal Engine (since I'am already familiar with that engine), however I might try out the CryEngine since it changed to a free model for non commercial projects.

So yeah, I'll post inspirations, concepts, textures and progress in this thread and it would be nice if you could leave me your thoughts and critics/feedback.

Cheers,

ChaosPanda

Replies

• ChaosPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so directly the first process:

I started of with the stone Texture for the base of the tavern. At first I wanted to sculpt the stones and assemble them in 3Ds Max, then texture it with Substance Designer. However I wasn't really happy with the style of the rocks (to cartoonie) so I ended up creating the whole texture in Substance Designer.

OpenGL Screenshot:

and this is my graph at the moment:

I still need to work a bit on some of the stones since the Height map is to sharp which makes the Normal Map not act right, I'll post the Normal map and the Height map a bit later.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Stone looks nice, excited to see how you handle this concept. :)
  • ChaosPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gfelton.

Probably gonna get started on a Wooden texture tonight