Home Technical Talk

Zbrush UV and Baking Maps

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Curiouskim null
Hi,

I am having a problem with UV. So I was given a low poly obj. that already has a UV that I must keep. My task was to detail the fabric piece with texture (alphas, sculpting) in Zbrush, how I did not know the UV was already there so I used zremesher early on to make it easier to sculpt on. Since I changed the mesh, the UV is lost. The goal is to create a displacement and normal map for the new detailed piece but with the original UV that was created in Marvelous Designer. It is a simple 6 sided flat polygon like a fashion pattern. Everything thing else, including all the textures, are in that UV shape.

Since there is no way to transfer the UV on a new mesh, I think baking is the solution. Is there a way to 2 diffferent objs/models in zbrush in order to adopt the initial UV?
So far I have tried Substance Painter and followed a tutorial however did not have any successful results. Here is the tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEixVr6elpw
I followed all the steps however at the end when I am baking, nothing was produced and I noticed the normal and AOcculsion maps' icons were black. Comparing his and mine interfaces, I noticed 2 differences:

1.) The baking que, the bake button says "bake features" on his but on mine it says "bake default/material textures"

2.) His materials are different, looks like his obj. already has some custom shaders when he imported.

I don't know if these differences are the problem, it may just be some setup or interface problem I need to figure out. The next option I am trying is Knald and xnormal.

Please help if there is a solution or another method to solve this.

Here are screenshots of the original UV and the current one.

http://zbrushcharactercreationsu16.blogspot.com/2016/06/uv-problem.html

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'd recommend using the ZProject brush to transfer the details and polypaint to the UV'd object. After that, it's business as usual.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    sometime the zproject brush is a bit buggy, you might want to try subtool>project>project all
    also your screenshot is private, so i'm not really sure how it's looking
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I am not sure if the gun in the vid above is what you are talking about but what I would do in your situation is:
    Open the lowpoly in a modelling app that has a good uv editor to check the uvs and adjust them if necessary.
    That app would support GoZ as well. This to save exporting and importing the slow way.
    Send the lowpoly to ZBrush from the app.
    Unify the imported lowpoly model (with uvss) so it is at optimal size and position in zbrush for detailing.
    GoZ the unified lowpoly to my 3d app and using the export options in ZBrush make sure it matches the size and position as closely as possible of the original lowpoly in my 3d app. You might have to make a copy of the lowpoly in the 3d app and rename it because the original one will probably get over written.
    Check the uvs of the lowpoly imported from ZBrush in the 3d app to see nothing is broken.
    Delete the original lowpoly in the 3d app.
    Now I have the lowpoly with uvs at optimal size and position in ZBrush and a copy of that model in my 3dapp that is in the exact same position and at the exact same size.
    Dynamesh the lowpoly in ZBrush as high as I can so there is no shrinkage that you get with sub dividing. Here the uvs are gone but this is the hipoly so what the heck, who cares.
    If the model is organic and I need subdivisions then I would zremesh and project that onto the Dynameshed copy to get a replica with subd's.
    If the model is mechanic I would just polish the dynamesh model however needed and detail without remeshing because in general there is no advantage to division levels.
    Now I have a detailed hipoly (even with diffuse info if its painted) and a lowpoly with uvs in my 3d app.
    At the moment I use 3dsMax so I import a decimated copy of the hipoly from ZBrush and put a projection cage modifier on my lowpoly using the decimated hipoly as reference.
    Export the lowpoly with projection cage option checked via the xnormal plugin.
    Open up xnormal and using the hi and lopoly bake all the maps I need.

So what you have is the original lowpoly with original or improved uv layout and a bunch of texture maps (displacement included if you need that) to apply to it. The only time I use the uvmaster in zbrush is if I need uvs for the noisemaker and pixologic specifically states in their user manual that uv layouts done this way are not intended for production, and indeed I have little control over uvs done in that way, but that control is not nrcessary for what I need it for.
    Hope this helps
    Cheerio