Home Technical Talk

Tutorial about Texturing?

Farina
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Farina polycounter lvl 4
Hello,

im searching a tutorial about texturing that includes many mapping explanation. Like Diffuse, Spec, Normal map, cavity and and and, and how to do them in photoshop. I work with Zbrush and Marmorset.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What you mentioned is legacy shader pipeline.  Do you want to stick to that, or be current with Physically Based Rendering, which is the latest paradigm for rendering in game engines (mostly)?
  • Farina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farina polycounter lvl 4
    Hello Brian, puh... i only want to know texturing and maps for game models and cinematic models. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you mentioned is legacy shader pipeline.  Do you want to stick to that, or be current with Physically Based Rendering, which is the latest paradigm for rendering in game engines (mostly)?
    Nothing he said would exclude him from making content for a PBR pipeline. Diffuse is just another word for albedo. Specular and gloss maps are certainly used in PBR workflows as are cavity and obviously normal maps.

Farina: Is there something specific you want to know about texturing? There are a lot of tutorials on the topic if you simply google. Without knowing your level of understanding it's hard to give you any advice on the topic.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, our wiki is the 2nd hit there, cool!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 2
    Nothing he said would exclude him from making content for a PBR pipeline. Diffuse is just another word for albedo. Specular and gloss maps are certainly used in PBR workflows as are cavity and obviously normal maps.

Farina: Is there something specific you want to know about texturing? There are a lot of tutorials on the topic if you simply google. Without knowing your level of understanding it's hard to give you any advice on the topic.
    If my understanding of PBR workflow is correct, while some of the maps between legacy and PBR workflows share the same name, not all give the same ouput with the same input with their respective shaders. For instance, a specular map using pbr isn't the same as a specular map using legacy. The same with gloss. Really I think the only ones you mentioned that dont change between legacy and pbr are cavity and normal map.
  • Raane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raane polycounter lvl 3
    Farina, you'll probably want to learn PBR, that's the workflow the vast majority of the industry is using going forwards, though for the ease of getting your brain around it to start with you might want to use metalness to start with as it's easier to understand with only a few technical concessions. Spec/Roughness workflow can be a bit overwhelming as each material has (seemingly) arbitrary values you need to keep tabs on.
    The best thing you can do first IMO is just get as accomplished as possible with photoshop. Understand layers, masks and blending at the very least. Once you've got them nailed you have your basic toolset to work with; even if it's not within Photoshop (they will serve you well in other programs).
    You should also have a good handle on your uv layouts, a good UV layout is not noticeable, a bad one can ruin some really nice texturing.

Ben Mathis has some good, old but still mainly applicable tutorials to start out with.
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorials/texture-theory-tutorial1.html
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorials/texture-theory-tutorial2.html
    He doesn't use a baked nomal method for these (showing their age)

What level would you consider yourself to be at?

• Farina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farina polycounter lvl 4
    Oh thank you so much! I will read this all ;-)! Hm.. i can say, im better as a beginner. The link are really good. To this, i would love to learn how to use the SSS Fast Skin Shader for ultra realistic skin with vray, but i cant find any really good tutorials about that, where the moderator explains in a video, what subdermal, epidermal ist and how to use that correctly in 3dsmax.. mh..