Home Technical Talk

How did you learn to Texture?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Kyle_Pind polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone,

I am a new member here to this site and have heard wonderful things. Did you ever read or watch anything that after completing it Texturing just kind of clicked for you? I am currently having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole texturing process, so I just wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone has any advice or links to things that helped make texturing a lot easier to you. I learned the basics in school quite a few years ago but it was basic knowledge and since then almost everything I have learned has slipped away. Now as i'm re-learning through tutorials on Digital Tutors my eyes are just kind of glazing over when it comes to UV's, Normal maps, AO maps, etc. If you have any advice, tutorials or websites that helped you, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much for your time.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Kyle!

I come from a modding background, so most of what I know was self-taught. I went through a terrible learning phase wherein everything I made looked like concrete, lacked detail, etc. I didn't ask for critique, but it was so terrible that people offered it anyhow. :)

Over the years I improved (or at least, so I think!) based on solicited and unsolicited feedback, and learned how to do more than just paint using Photoshop's layer styles. Once I graduated from college and started working professionally, I learned pretty quickly from a lot of people who are far more talented than I'll ever be. With some mentoring and collaboration on professional work, I got up to speed and started forcing myself to get out of my comfort zone. I came here and started doing more work, posted some of it, got ripped apart, took a break, came back, and started doing better professional work based on the harsh criticism I received here.

Then I got into Quixel SUITE and went to work for Quixel. :)

I'm basically Quixel's Propaganda Minister now, but I'll gladly help tutor you through learning some fundamentals of 3D texturing if you ever want to learn - I've got some extensive background in Mudbox painting, Photoshop, and I know NDO and DDO inside and out (otherwise I'd be fired by this point I think, haha!) - so don't hesitate to ask if you'd like some assistance to get up to speed, regardless of the program you're interested in.

It can be challenging to get back into it, and there's a lot of terminology out there that can confuse a new artist, but it's all easy enough provided you understand the basics of form and color and have a willingness to learn and take criticism from others. Even the harsh criticism. Sometimes it's the best you can get!
  • Kyle_Pind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Jonathan. Thank you so much for the reply. So strange that you replied first because today I actually downloaded the trial version of Quixel to learn. I had been researching about texturing and everyone seemed to think it was pretty amazing. Literally all I did today was watch most of the tutorials on the Quixel tutorials page and man does it seem powerful. I'm still in a rapid training phase right now but I will soon be posting my stuff for criticism. Harsh or not I learned from school that getting eyes and criticism on your piece is the best way to grow as an artist. 

As for Quixel I feel like once I get into the program I will learn pretty fast. The learning curve seems not as steep due to it being so close to Photoshop. It's just getting my stuff into Quixel that I am currently struggling with. UV's, Color Maps (probably using Quixel's Colors script), Baking Color Maps, Normal's, AO, etc. My mind just can't wrap itself around the UV Editor, but i'm sure just like anything in 3D, you learn by using it. If you don't mind I will definitely reach out if I have any questions inside Quixel. Thank you so much for your time.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If you know Photoshop, you'll feel at home using NDO and DDO to create textures. It's the same techniques and the same workflow, just sped up significantly!

Anytime you'd like to reach me, you're always welcome to message me directly or via Polycount. E-mailing jonathan @ quixel . se goes directly to my phone. :)
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    check this one out i found it very useful this can be used in ur roughness maps to0 i think
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gqp4bNJ52M

• Kyle_Pind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much!
  • Kyle_Pind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much!
  • demigodssw