Home Technical Talk

Mudbox and Blender for modelling?

thunderysteak
vertex
Hello. I'm a student that wants to start modelling from scratch instead of model modifications for machinimas as a hobby. Is starting using Mudbox with Blender a good start if I'm currently using 3DS Max 2012 (I'm graduating soon and the license is about to expire)?

I already looked into other options and I can't afford the monthly 3DS Max and/or Maya subscription cost and Maya LT doesn't offer plugin support for Source (M.E.S.A. doesn't work with it). My budged for all hobby stuff is around $70 which Maya LT fits but 3SD Max and full Maya doesn't fit. 

I already understand that migration from 3DS Max to Blender will be a hard one and I wish that I could stay with 3DS Max, but I simply can't afford it.

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    You don't need Mudbox. Blender has sculpting tools included. And switching from Max to Blender isn't too difficult. You can configure viewport controls and shortcuts to work similarely and you can work with modifiers in Blender like you're used to from Max.
    For your monthly budget i would recommend Photoshop and Substance subscriptions.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Blender isn't a bad choice to work with if you're limited by pricing. There's a lot of interesting tools in it that you may find useful for work, especially if you're used to Max already.

If you're looking into texturing options, Steppenwolf's Photoshop advice is solid. It's very much an integral part of a lot of studio work. I'll offer my own biased opinion in that you may wish to consider an academic license to Quixel SUITE as well, as it functions with Photoshop and extends it significantly. Our academic license is 40% off right now at $39.99. If you're interested in learning the tool, we've got a bunch of tutorials on Quixel.se/learn and our Quixel Hangout is frequently filled with knowledgeable, friendly artists. :)