Home Technical Talk

How do i improve this fur/wool technique?

christopheduron
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
christopheduron polycounter lvl 2
Hello everybody,

I want to create some good wool/fur meshes for in-game and i'm trying to use this technique:
http://polycount.com/discussion/156012/fur-breakdown/p1

After a lot of attempts, this is my best result so far (in Cryengine):
1st picture is from a distance, the 2nd from close-up

As you can see (hopefully) it looks alright from a distance, but pretty crappy from close-by. I was wondering if there was something i could do to improve this.

My textures:

Alpha:

Normal:

Glossiness:

Albedo:

How do i improve this guys?

Replies

• Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Maybe use alpha planes instead of that sphere?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    More layers, less space between layers. A few alpha planes just to break it up a bit in places. 
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with alpha planes, do you mean adding in some planes with a fur texture on it like one would create hair? In the meantime i'll try to use less space between the layers. Thanks for the feedback so far.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    As Zac suggested, add more layers. Better source textures might also help.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tips on how to create the alpha layers? Currently 'm simply making my diffuse black&white and then playing with levels until i get the wanted result.

Perhaps someone has some example of this method being used in game? The examples i find (like the one in the tutorial) are rendered out, so they don't seem to have that problem. I do have one example from cryengine itself, but they use it to create moss. It's still useful though.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so this is how it looks with a total of 6 layers (2 more than previously) and in the first picture you can see how close i layered them together. I used 2 layers of both the 3rd and 4th less dense ones.

It definitely looks better up close, and it's alright from a distance. I'll see if i can find a better texture to use aswel. What do youguys think so far then? Is it an improvement?

• Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I think you could probably see about tiling your alpha more to get more of a fuzzy look.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll give it a try
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that is acceptable, you're zoomed in pretty close and it's still holding up "pretty well". At a distance it starts to look like scales so that would be concerning to me because that is the first impression people will have. Instead of tinting random clumps you probably want to tint the lower shells darker if you can so it fakes shadowing. I'm not sure how your shader is set up or if that's even possible, but the random clump discoloration is making them look like scales.

In order to get fins and shells to look good you need to use a lot of them and spend a lot of time creating them. They can look good, but it takes a lot of work and they can end up eating a lot of resources, on the engine side, your time AND the time it takes to rig them up and animate them. Even if  they aren't being dynamically driven, they could be a nightmare for rigging/animation having a lot of different shells stacked on top of each other. But that depends on the rigs, where the fur is and the motions being done. Doing the shells by yourself could also be a significant performance hit because the engine isn't culling a specific effect but treating it like the rest of the model. This could come back to haunt you and could make LOD'ing a nightmare that looks like trash.

Opacity sorting is one of those things that can tie up a lot of the engines resources, especially if it's anything other than alpha test, which it looks like you are using which is good for performance but is hard to make a soft looking fur.

1 ) Anti-Alias 
    I don't know much about CryEngine but in a lot of other engines there are ways to soften those hard opacity edges without leaving alpha test. They typically rely on anti-aliasing techniques so you might want to look into that. Unreal has it, Cry should also...

2 ) Dithering
    You can also dither the edges of your opacity maps. The pixels are still 0 or 1, on or off but because you've poked holes through the map it softens it a bit.

Dithering and AA can really bring out the soft fuzzy look and a lot of studios use it to great effect. If you have both available to you, use it, otherwise try just Dithering, it should help.

3 ) Plugins
         A )  Neofur is technically for UE4 but there might be something similar for CryEngine. It uses the same "stacked shell" idea (I think) but handles it inside the shader so you aren't managing the shells yourself. It also has performance and distance tuning features which if you do the shells on your own, they typically aren't optimized for performance, so not only does it improve your personal workflow but it offers dynamics that scale with performance.
         B ) Nvidia hairworks is great, they used it on the latest Witcher game and in FryCry4. 
    These plug-ins are nice because they can be easier to author assets, they have dynamic secondary motion built in as well as performance tuning. Plus they usually don't require additional work on the rigging and animation side of things.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also check out Alpha-To-Coverage, which quite a few game engines now support.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TransparencyMap#Alpha_To_Coverage
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    cant wait to see what you come up with!
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as Cryengine goes, i don't think there's anything specific that i can do to improve it right now. I asked around, but nobody with knowledge about cryengine can give me a good solution for my problem. I'm going to let this character go for now to start a new project. Thanks for the help though guys :).