Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Tom Vivash

MrGoggleBox
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
MrGoggleBox polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I thought it was about time I got around to starting one of these sketchbooks. I want to use it to keep track of my progress, and will be grateful for any feedback you decide to give. 

My aim is to post here as regularly as I can and just generally get better!

C&C is most welcome.

Replies

• MrGoggleBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I'd start my sketchbook off with a few pics of my older pieces of work (mainly so I can see how far I've come). 

And now I'll leave you with some of my most recent projects to show where I'm at currently; If you want to see more, visit my website here or artstation here.

• MrGoggleBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, at the moment I'm working on a XF-85 Goblin. I started this one off with the intention of making it fairly high poly in order not to need baked normals. I hugely underestimated this task. I actually started off by making a high poly mesh, and made some progress with it with the idea of cutting down on tris from the turbosmoothed mesh. However, I got some weird shapes with the main body and thought I should scrap the highpoly, refine the shape and work up tris, rather than down. 
    Long story short, I haven't baked anything other than the screws which I plan on painting on in substance painter with a few custom brushes. I wasn't too happy with the outcome of the model, but now that I'm underway with textures, it's starting to look a lot nicer. I've learnt a lot with this project so far, so even though the outcome isn't perfect, it's been a great tool for me. Next time I try a higher poly mesh for a vehicle, I won't be picking something with so many screws...

This is my current progress with texturing in Substance Painter.

• MrGoggleBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I've recently been busy with an art test and sending off some applications, so no updates on the Goblin for now. I have however, found some cool tutorials on youtube by John Malcolm https://www.youtube.com/user/luxxeon3d/videos.

I've learnt some cool neat little tricks following these, they're quite mindless models and you can end up with some pretty amazing products. Here are some that I made following the tutorials and from what I learnt.