Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Texturing Tree Basher Mech DigiGundam Personal Work

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
reckzilla polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys sop I finished this model a couple of months ago I kind of just let it be as it is and used Keyshot to get a pretty render but as of late I have been playing with Vray a lot more and trying to learn high poly texturing with Quixel, Substance Painter, or Mari so this going to be sort of a pet project where I'm trying to learn cool things. I have one other project that I am also doing similar things with but I don't have any cool pictures of it yet so I will post it later. Just throwing this thread up as a way to keep track of my work share it and get feedback and absorb any knowledge anyone feels like dropping. I may be doing some model tweaks as well.

(concept by Pete Sutherland)

Thanks for checking out the thread!

Replies

• reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with Substance Painter and using Vray and Marmoset to check out the materials. So far Substance painter has impressed me and I am excited to keep using it and see how far I can push it!

• reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Substance is love
    Substance is life

Super fun and looks great looking forward to playing with textures some more
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice, careful with that dirt though. It makes sense to have dirt on a machine that does excavation or is on a building site or something, but not sure how dirty a tree cutting machine would get. It also looks too uniform - In the concept it looks more localized towards the cutting 'arm' and the legs. It'd be pretty hard to get dirt so high on a machine that tall anyway haha
    That said, the concept does make it look very beaten up. Maybe it's used for extremely inhospitable terrain that no other machinery would be able to handle. Rust and paint chips can definitely be applied liberally. All in all I really like the design, but it obviously looks very clean, functional and realistic just like a real world machine would, so I hope you head in the more fantastical direction and go for maximum grunge

reckzilla said:
    Substance is love
    Substance is life
       B)
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot @TheRizzler I need to pull back on the grunge I was having too much fun... I will look into adjusting the localized dirt accumulation, thanks.
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So this is what I so far. I still need to do some more passes on the texture to make sure it looks cool and accurate I'll probably do a major ref board and do another texture pass once I am completely comfortable with Substance Painter still getting used to some of the nuances of the program, but I love it!
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SO here is the model with a  complete texture not necessarily final just complete will be going back and doing some more interest break up on the texture but for now glad to have something to present. Built a s***ty little diorama scene for testing how I will be approaching in the for the final scene just a bunch of aimless testing seeing what works what doesn't and how much I will need to do to make the trees and dirt look good, needless to say way more work than this. thanks for viewing. 

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    The Mesh itself looks pretty good.
    But the presentation with the Trees need some work in my eyes.
    The trees looking very similar (1 Tree?) and maybe its a good idea to add a bit of foliage just to make the whole scene look more interesting.

Anyways, if you dont want to focus on a scene, good job on the Mesh!
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gazu Yeah the forest is pretty half hazard. It was me just looking into what it would be like if I did try to add a forest, needs a great deal of work xD
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow 3 months later xD I finally actually completed the DIgiGundam Portion of this post but never posted any WIP's since it was such an off an on Project. Anywho here goes the final render I ended on.

I'm still not necessarily too confident in where it is but I decided that I needed to move on to other projects which I will start posting as well! So stay tuned and thanks for checking in!
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    where's the meticulously hand crafted transform animation though dude? Just kidding. Legs could do with more detail on the front but the render is pretty good, nice work.