Home Technical Talk

some questions about max (default extrude / chamfer and min primitive creation size)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
my max has started being weird anytime i do a extrude it defaults to 10 meters which is huge, chamfers default to 1 meter, which is still huge.  i would like these to default to 0 (sure i know i can rt click the spinner, but curious if theres a way to have it do that auto).  i mean a 10 meter extrude seems extreme.  also when i go to create a primitive it has to be at least .1 meters or it vanishes when i go to create it, making it a pain to do details, i have to make my object large, then after creation shrink it donwn.. any help would be appreciated,  my system unit is 1 unit - 1 meter

Replies

• MaxHoek
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    i recommend using system unit by 1 unit = 1 centimeter. thats a good value to work with. then u have a chamfer by 1cm and the extrude by 10cm, thats fine for me at any time. but i dont know if you can change the standard value for every modifier. 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    MaxHoek said:
    i recommend using system unit by 1 unit = 1 centimeter. thats a good value to work with. then u have a chamfer by 1cm and the extrude by 10cm, thats fine for me at any time. but i dont know if you can change the standard value for every modifier. 
    This. Changing your units to metric, cm 1unit=1cm will work for your viewports, dont forget to go into the system units too (use same settings) which will change your units for export. When extruding and chanfering go into user view (orthographic) this will make your manual modeling easier to handle.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I would also recommend 1unit-1cm, unless working on a scene that is a very large scale. And as @Kanga says make sure to also set system units.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ok, i was using cm before, but i was having an issue that when using goz to go to zbrush, the model comes in SUPER huge using CM so where even when my zbrush brush is at max size its just a small dot on my object.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Rhinokey said:
    ok, i was using cm before, but i was having an issue that when using goz to go to zbrush, the model comes in SUPER huge using CM so where even when my zbrush brush is at max size its just a small dot on my object.
    That's why I use the Styx plugin. Best 5 quid I ever spent. Perfect, seamless exchange between Max/ZB. Set the scale once and never have scale issues again. GoZ has always had this scale issue. It can be set up at the start of a project, and there are other workarounds but it's a pain in the arse. If you work a lot between Max/ZB then the Styx plug is a must. Plus it works between  many programs: max, maya, headus, ZB