Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SMG concept critique needed

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
yaschan polycounter lvl 7
Here is a small machine gun concept I made from a scratch. My goal was to make a weapon that would be believable in present day universe but would not be any existing gun.
So I started up with making several silhouettes in photoshop and finally came up with this one (the rear end is extended a bit too much I can see it now..)  I took some liberty when sculpting but tried to remain in the original concept.

Then finally making the lowpoly and texturing in Substance Painter. Final model is about 5K, I regret not having used more geo, especially the extending rear end thing is crying for more polys. 

I would really love to hear your critique in art standpoint and also from the textures.

The coated parkerised gunmetal was somehow confusing for me; I used Metal-Rough workflow for this. Do you guys consider it metal? 

Anyway I really love your posts and you guys are huge inspiration for me. Here goes. (Sorry clicking images don't open for some reason, I wonder whats right way to use IMGUR)

Replies

• yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here it is in UE4 image
  • OFPismySOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    Nicely done. It hits the middle ground well between "real world believable" and "made up".

I would have to agree with you on the use of more polys but overall it looks like the weapon has a good silhouette. The pistol grip is a bit too squared off to look ergonomic though. I'd just round that baby off a bit more. Also, I would suggest doing something different with the end of the barrel. You don't see that kind of end on a barrel anymore (it looks like something you'd see on a 1928A1 "Tommy Gun" from WW2). It's completely up to you but I would suggest putting on some threads for the barrel's end for a silencer or a flash hider of some kind. 

As I said before, it's nicely done. I'd pick it up in a game, no problem. 

• yaschan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge thanks for reply and fantastic point of view. I really appreciate it.