Home General Discussion

Price range of a Gaming Studio

Steampoweredman483
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Steampoweredman483 polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, 

I'm trying to do research on budgeting for video games, and one of the things I'm trying to figure out is how much does it cost to rent a AAA studio. 

Thanks. 

Replies

• Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    The same amount it costs to lease office space of any kind, depends on square footage and location.
    Walk up to the window of a commercial letting agents in your city and take a pic of the ads.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Steampoweredman483 said:is how much does it cost to rent a AAA studio. 

Thanks. 
    At least $4-5 million...a month, 300-400 workers.  And that's just for a startup.

More info?  Just search for bankupt gamedev studios in the last 5 years.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ....... You mean you want to rent the office ??  Equipment ??
    Or an actual professional working AAA studio ? ... What does that even mean... like, pay them money to work for you ?? Is that even possible ?
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Possible and common,
    As a third party publisher
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Work for hire is pretty common.

You'll get a huge degree of variance, based on team size, experience, and work portfolio, location.

A couple in Montreal i know of are Behaviour, and NVizzio (formerly Funcom) who have the benefit of the Quebec tax subsidies and can underbid by quite a lot.

You can get in contact with their GM's if you want a price.

• 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    The AAA team I work on of around 100 people I have heard quoted as costing about £0.5mil per month in operating costs. What it would cost to hire would be a fair bit more I guess.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    My WildAssGuess is  8 to 15k dollars/month per developer. Less if the definition of 'AAA' team is taken pretty loosely.  So maybe a range of 200k/month for 25 person team of non-super-heroes to a couple of million dollars/month or more for a bigass modern team with a good reputation and some nice hits behind them. Note that making a game includes other costs, such potentially gigantic amounts for an outsource budget, and a marketing budget equal to the entire budget of developing the actual game (of course, those costs are not part of the 'renting a studio' cost, as you put it).
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff said:
    The AAA team I work on of around 100 people I have heard quoted as costing about £0.5mil per month in operating costs. What it would cost to hire would be a fair bit more I guess.
    From 2004, but still relevant:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130450/the_end_game_how_top_developers_.php

Value of the Development Team

Another way to determine a developer's value is by assigning a minimum value to their employees. Using current industry multipliers, a developer's employees are often valued at $100,000-$150,000 each (although one developer told us that $200,000 was a fair price). The reasoning behind this is fairly straightforward: If a publisher were to hire, train, and retain an equally effective employee, how much money would they have to spend to do so? $100-$150K per employee is a fair assessment.

EA's Jerry Bowerman provided a simple explanation, "What does it cost you to recruit, train, and make productive an employee? It's not hard to get a floor value of $100,000 per employee."

• Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I think Kevin Albers is about right, I heard 10k to 15k GBP per person per month being good value a few years ago
  • Steampoweredman483
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steampoweredman483 polycounter lvl 2
    Oh wow, thanks guys for the info ::pleased: I'm doing a research paper for class, so i'm trying to get an accurate info starting with at least a 100 people. 

I'll take your advices, and go from there.