Home Technical Talk

Maya subdivisions

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Hey,

I'm following a tutorial and in the tutorial silo is being used to model most of the stuff. And from what I've seen silo has a really nice way of modeling with sdvis with hitting "c" you can go a sdiv up and with "v" one down is there any way you can do this in maya?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With a polygon mesh, smooth preview with "3", and pgUp/pgDown to set the subdivision level. This and more is in the attribute editor for the shape under "Smooth Mesh"

There's also subdivision surfaces, one of their early attempts; it can do all the up/down and local subdivides. But it's not worth using most of the time. (modify>create>garbage IIRC)
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    With a polygon mesh, smooth preview with "3", and pgUp/pgDown to set the subdivision level. This and more is in the attribute editor for the shape under "Smooth Mesh"

There's also subdivision surfaces, one of their early attempts; it can do all the up/down and local subdivides. But it's not worth using most of the time. (modify>create>garbage IIRC)
    Thank you very much will take a look at them.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @throttlekitty

Hey, 

One more question when I use smooth preview I have my vertex boundary set to sharp edges and when I click on smooth mesh preview to polygons it uses the vertex boundary sharp edges and corners anyway to fix this?

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it does. Looks like an oversight in the script that handles that, but I'm not sure the best way to fix it.
    In the meantime, Mesh>Smooth should still work for you.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    So it does. Looks like an oversight in the script that handles that, but I'm not sure the best way to fix it.
    In the meantime, Mesh>Smooth should still work for you.
    Yeah been using that way it's just a bit annoying haha but still thanks anyway.
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @throttlekitty

Hey once again,

I'm trying to change the hotkeys for going up and down since i don't like page up and down but i can't find the name of it in the hotkey editor do you know how it's called?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more you know! You can also hover over the keyboard image to get a tooltip for anything that key + combo works. (but then you have to search for the friendly name, so it's quicker this way.)

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    The more you know! You can also hover over the keyboard image to get a tooltip for anything that key + combo works. (but then you have to search for the friendly name, so it's quicker this way.)

Thank you very much didn't know that.