Home Technical Talk

[substance painter] rendered in [marmoset] why these seams in my normals/renders?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
IEatModels vertex

I'm seeing seams in some areas when ever I try to up the resolution. These lines are where the edges are in the lowpoly model.

Best I can figure so far is that is is something to do with the normal map when it is baked in substance painter (default settings)?

much help would be much appreciated, anyone else run into something like this? I am seeing something similar in a couple areas too with totally different textured (like rubber).

thanks in advance guys! <3

Replies

• IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    oh, I should also note that there is NO seams in the unwrapped UVs here or in these areas.. thanks
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I can't really tell from the screenshot( I'm on my phone) but I looks like aliasing in the bake. Try setting AA to 4x4 and see what happens.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Just a suspicion: Even if there are no visible seams in the low-poly's UVs, did you check if the edges producing the normal lines are actually merged in the UV layout and not parts of separate islands?
    Also, when baking the normals inside SP, have you tried modifying the dilation width?
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    thanks for the reply but aliasing does not fix it. could it be something to do with smoothing groups? I had them set to 30degrees which I don't think that is over but i read somewhere you dont want any smoothing group information at all on the low poly before bringing it into painter hmmm
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex

Just a suspicion: Even if there are no visible seams in the low-poly's UVs, did you check if the edges producing the normal lines are actually merged in the UV layout and not parts of separate islands?
    Also, when baking the normals inside SP, have you tried modifying the dilation width?

thanks for the reply but dilation did not change anything here
    here is a photo of the normal map export and a screenshot from the textured normal in SP

just side note/prob unrelated:
    I guess those rays on the sides ("ish on the sides") in the normal do not matter since that is unused space, I just have no idea why they are there at all. :lol:

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is that your low poly mesh isn't smoothed on that bit.

The bake indicates that it's got faceted normals.
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    Farfarer said:
    My guess is that your low poly mesh isn't smoothed on that bit.

The bake indicates that it's got faceted normals.
    yes, I was trying to stay low poly on the low poly model, is there no way around that? I felt like that was not even that low, I have harder edges on other parts of the model that rounded out fine after the bake..

• IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    or did you mean smoothed as in smoothing groups?
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    could it be something to do with smoothing groups? I had them set to 30degrees which I don't think that is over but i read somewhere you dont want any smoothing group information at all on the low poly before bringing it into painter hmmm
    Painter itself can handle smoothing information just fine. The problem is in the baking because for every hard edge/smoothing group you need to have a separate UV shell. Otherwise you get the baking errors which is apparently what's happening on your mesh. More info is in the wiki.

Farfarer was indeed referring to the smoothing information not the mesh resolution. Choosing a (low) automatic angle for low-poly smoothing group generation isn't a very efficient workflow. You will most likely have to spend more time getting rid of all the unnecessary hard edges/separating them onto UV shells than if you were to start with soft edges and set the individual smoothing groups/hard edges yourself.
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    ahh ok, thanks for the help guys! I def forgot to set up the smoothing groups on this part of the model. I was doing them previously but must have forgot when I needed to fix something using a non-smoothed version.

I just re-did the low poly UVed mesh with the smoothing groups on and it fixed the problem. *facepalm