Home General Discussion

Resume problems.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
So, as the title implies, I have a question in regards to one's resume.  Back in the day, I learned that it would be best, if able, to go the self-taught route if learning 3D.  6 years later, I feel more than ready to make games, and consider myself more than competent. However, I don't know what to put on the resume, when applying.  My day to day job is unrelated and far from art, but I do put in 40 hours plus - a week, besides my regular job of another 40 hours, on making environments, and always studying as well.
  I have twice been featured artist on Crytek (the second coming up), and can put that down, I think, but should I just say Self-taught, and hope it sounds good, or what's the norm for that - because I know I'm not alone in that boat.
  I feel a little 'stuck' on this point, and would greatly appreciate some insight.  As it is now, I don't want to 'shoot' down a possible chance, by sending out a clue-less resume.

Thanks for any help.  This has been tricky for me, since I guess I'm the 'shy' nerd, but that too is common.

Portfolio: Scrounger - a short film - made in CryEngine. This was a project on which I did everything - models, textures, materials, lighting, animation, rigging, story, design, and music.

https://youtu.be/1V85Fw5H5jE

www.henriks3dworld.com

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be honest and concise. List your most relevant info up front, followed by least relevant.

A non-related job is still good to show. It demonstrates you are able to stick with something, have people skills, etc. 

Fortunately for you, entry-level game artists are judged maybe 90% by the contents of their portfolios. Resume and cover letter count for less than 5%. 

Worth a read thru these:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Resumes
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, Eric.  I've taken a look at the link you provided, but if I could ask: do I simply put self-taught, years of that, skilled in what programs, and be proud of it, followed by my current unrelated job, which I've been in for the last 15 years?  I guess that's the problem I have - that it looks a little bare, even though it's not.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't put "self-taught" on a resume. There's no need really. What's the point of having it there?

Think like a hiring manager. What do I need to see when sifting through a pile of candidate resumes?

• Name. Area of expertise (Environment Artist). Portfolio url. Location (City and state, or country if applying for a job in another one). Contact email. Phone number.
    • Summary. (what role is the person looking for? strengths? what makes them stand out?)
    • Skills. (what kind of art tasks are they good at, what art styles, what software are they familiar with, include applicable industry standard terms)
    • Experience. (jobs they've had) 
    • Education. (only include if it's art related)
    • Awards or publications. (your featured artist things would go here)

When you're ready, post your resume for critique. Blank out the phone number if you want, not a big deal though really.
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay.  Thanks.  I will do that.  It has never been my strong suit with this, but I appreciate your help.

HL